Basketball

Fantasy comes true for one journalist

It is not often that out of shape sports journalists get to stand in the huddle shoulder to shoulder with UM varsity athletes for two hours, and it’s even less rare for fans to experience this phenomenon.

The UM Women’s Basketball Fantasy Camp was not just an invite to see how spectacular the players are, but a chance to rub elbows with them while going through drills just like they do for a night.  Fans got to do pick and roll, shooting and dribbling drills but even better was being in the huddle with some of the best players in the ACC and NCAA.

“I wanted to expose our players to our fans and our fans understand the skill level that is required to play at the level that we play at,” head coach Katie Meier said. “I told the girls to show off a little bit; this is an event to make our product more attractive.”

The drills were not the easiest; the warm-ups alone had fans already sweating.  The coaches were the players who explained the drills both clear and concise but fans had issues keeping up.  By the middle of the camp fans started to look around and realize how talented these women athletes truly are.  The players did not take it easy on the supporters; one drill on rebounding had fans versus 6’6” junior center Shanice Wilson in the paint trying to score on her.

Some players showed promise in coaching with how clearly they explained the effectiveness of the drills and how passionate they were about the fans performing well once the camp switched to 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 games.

“My love for the game is tremendous,” junior guard Shenise Johnson said. “I could definitely see myself coaching when the game gives me up, but before then no, I want to play.”

When the games started you could see some of the athletic ability of the UM Athletic department.  Kirby Hocutt UM’s Athletic Director was even on the court showing his skills inside the paint.  Seeing their support staff lay down some serious lumber on the court was shocking to even some of the guest men’s basketball team players.

“You could tell people have played basketball before, it’s fun to see them all in the same atmosphere,” junior forward Julian Gamble said. “Some of these guys take these games very serious; it’s kind of like a party but playing basketball at the same time.”

The UM women’s basketball team was able to connect with fans and supporters they never knew they had.  One lady was well into her senior years but was on the court participating in all the warm-ups and drills as well. Overall the inaugural UM Women’s Basketball Fantasy Camp was a success and brought together over 50 fans and supporters for a fun night of basketball with some of the NCAA’s best women’s basketball players.

Rico Dominguez may be contacted at rdominguez@themiamihurricane.com.

Enrico Dominguez

Contributing Edge Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...