News Briefs 10/21

Senior Spotlight

The 2011 Ibis Yearbook is looking to spotlight the 20 best seniors on campus. Applications are due by Friday by 5 p.m. to the Ibis Yearbook office, UC 229. For questions, contact ibispeople@gmail.com.

National Ranking

The University of Miami’s School of Business Administration was recognized by the Princeton Review in the 2011 edition of “The Best 300 Business Schools,” placing sixth in “Greatest Opportunity for Minority Students” and seventh in “Most Competitive Students.”

Miller School of Medicine receives grant

The Miller School of Medicine has received a $2.2 million five-year grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration, part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, to support innovative components of a newly created M.D./M.P.H. program that will respond directly to a severe shortage of physicians trained in public health and health care delivery.

UM Dalai Lama related events

The University of Miami will host several events related to the return visit of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, who will speak on “The Quest for Happiness in Challenging Times” at the BankUnited Center on Oct. 26. For information on the various programs, visit miami.edu/dalailama/index.html.

Yearbook Photos

The 2011 Ibis Yearbook will be taking portraits in the UC Lower Lounge from Oct. 25 to Nov. 5, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Portraits are free for freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Seniors can sign up for appointments at miami.edu/ibis. For questions, call 305-284-6385.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...