Sports briefs 10/14

BASEBALL

Two former Hurricanes are currently fighting for a chance to appear in the MLB World Series. Outfielder Pat Burrell and first Baseman Aubrey Huff, both currently with the San Francisco Giants, advanced to the National League Championship Series after eliminating the Atlanta Braves. They will now face off against the reigning National League Champions, the Philadelphia Phillies.

Heading into his 18th season as the head baseball coach, Jim Morris and the baseball team will begin fall practice on Thursday afternoon at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. A class of 12 freshmen and one sophomore join the team.

VOLLEYBALL

The Hurricanes will hit the road this weekend for a pair of ACC games, taking on both Maryland and Boston College.  Miami, currently 13-5 including 3-4 in the ACC, will look to improve over .500 in the ACC this weekend. The Canes will face off against the Terrapins (13-6 overall, 4-3 ACC) Friday at 5:30 p.m. before going up against the Boston College Eagles (8-12 overall, 0-7 ACC) on Sunday at 12:30 p.m.

FOOTBALL

ESPN2 announced that it will broadcast the Canes’ game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 23. The game will also air on ESPN2 HD and ESPN3.com.

SWIMMING/DIVING

After placing third overall in their season opener at the 2010 All Florida Invitational, hosted by University of Florida, the Hurricanes scored 733.50, finishing just behind Florida and Florida State. Overall, they won five events total including the 200-medley relay, 100 breaststroke, 100 freestyle  and 1-meter diving. The team is returning to the pool on Friday at 5 p.m. when they host Florida International University.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com. Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...