Cheating on reality with technology

Everybody is affected by technology. But the truth is that technology has greatly inhibited our ability to communicate with people. We do not call. We text. We do not send letters. We e-mail. We do not make friends. We Facebook stalk them.

For some reason, we feel that communication has helped us keep in touch with people and gives us a connection to society. Yet consider this: How many times have you walked around campus texting and missed saying hello to someone because you could not pull your eyes up from your BlackBerry or iPhone? The fact that we allow technology to rule our lives and schedules is sickening.

I am not excluding myself from this phenomenon. I begin to get a bit woozy when I look at my phone and see 20 percent battery remaining with no charger in sight. I mean, what am I going to do without the ability to text, e-mail and Facebook stalk people?

This addiction is slightly ridiculous if you ask me, yet I continue to remain a slave to my technology. I find myself making lame excuses, such as ‘how will my mother get a hold of me from Texas,’ or ‘Facebook helps me find friends from high school.’

So let’s think. How many hours a day are wasted when you should instead be productive because of Facebook, texting, e-mail and Google searches? Procrastination at its best is spent watching TV, searching the web for music, watching the newest funny YouTube video or photo stalking someone on Facebook that you probably don’t know.

Technology has been abused. Now, technology is abusing its users. Technology has allowed even the most outgoing people to hide behind the clicking of a keyboard. Tell me, can anyone go one day without checking their texts? Why not try a week without Facebook? I guarantee you won’t believe the amount of time you’ve been wasting.

Jenny Hamilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at jhamilton@themiamihurricane.com.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...