Shock band GWAR lives up to name

GWAR's "Flattus Maximus" performs at Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, TN on June 12. Flattus Maximus is said to "Only eat vegetarians." The band threw fake blood over the crowd. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

Metal legends GWAR tore through South Florida on their recent tour promoting their new album, “Bloody Pit of Horror.” Known for their outrageous stage presence, the messy band brought their graphic performance to Revolution Live in Ft. Lauderdale on Thursday. With three support bands in tow, the venue was packed with people, noise and sweat.

Metal legends GWAR tore through South Florida on their recent tour promoting their new album, “Bloody Pit of Horror.” Known for their outrageous stage presence, the band brought their graphic performance to Revolution Live in Ft. Lauderdale on Thursday. With three support bands in tow, the venue was packed with people, noise and sweat.

Starting the night was Mobile Death Camp, an Ohio band specializing in a mix of thrash metal and punk. The band did a solid job of warming the crowd up while people started filling the venue. After a blistering set, local Florida band Infernaeon took the stage.

A rather odd choice for a support band came up next with the Casualties. The aging street punk band, complete with mohawks and shotgun shell belts, took the stage before GWAR, and it seemed that many people were there specifically for them. Their set was fast-paced and loud, with the crowd moshing and chanting along to every song. Blazing through their last song, they cleared the stage for the much-anticipated set by GWAR.

GWAR has made headlines because of their shows, and after their performance at Revolution, it’s easy to see why. To start off the show, two monsters stumbled around the stage, only to be decapitated by the members of GWAR. Fake blood sprayed into the audience, and the crowd went crazy. The only breaks taken were in between a few songs, in which they disemboweled Sarah Palin and Lady Gaga. Blood and slime covered the walls of Revolution, and no one was safe from being sprayed with fluids during the encore.

GWAR remains a standout shock band, and their shows are nothing less than extraordinary. They’re sure to be back next year in support of another comedic metal album.

Caroline Helmers may be contacted at chelmers@themiamihurricane.com

Caroline Helmers

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...