Ready. Set. Spike for Mike.

Hundreds of students gathered at the Sigma Chi fraternity house Sunday for a volleyball tournament to help raise money for Mike Bakutes, a brother that was diagnosed with Juvenile Ossifying Fibroma, a rare and aggressive tumor, this summer.

The fraternity was notified via e-mail this June that their brother would be on medical leave for the semester in order to go through a series of rigorous surgeries. As soon as the word was out two of Bakutes’ fraternity brothers, Jeremy Turim and Gabe Adelman, began planning the fundraiser.

The boys contacted parents, local businesses, and all of Bakutes’ friends inside and out of Greek life.

“Mike has friends in other fraternities and from all over campus,” Turim said. “We wanted to make sure we went beyond Greek life and made this a campus wide event.”

The boys were successful. The Sigma Chi house was overflowing with members of every fraternity and sorority on campus, unaffiliated students, parents and even some dogs. Over 50 six-member volleyball teams participated and lots of other supporters came to watch.

Miles and Shari Barish, Bakutes’ grandparents, traveled from Delray Beach to attend the event. Shari Barish or “nanny” as Bakutes calls her, is no stranger to illness. A survivor of breast cancer herself, she admitted that she cried a lot when she heard the news in June.

Shari Barish traveled to New York to be with her grandson through his surgery. The procedure required doctors to remove ten of his teeth and most of his lower jaw, they also had to insert a metal plate in his lip and wire his jaw which doesn’t allow him to eat solid food.

“We are so proud of him,” Shari Barish said.  “He is in such good spirits and keeps telling us all to stay positive. His biggest complaint is that he is hungry.”

Bakutes’ is described by all his friends as an outgoing guy who is friendly with everyone. The outpouring of support by his peers confirms how likable Bakutes is in the Miami community.

“We have totally exceeded our expectations. We raised over $4,000 coming into the day,” said Adelman, who was planning on living with Bakutes this semester.

In addition to donations and the $30 entry fee for each volleyball team, Nick Rodriguez, another Sigma Chi brother, created and sold 200 black t-shirts that read “Spike for Mike 2010” in neon pink print. Rodriguez used the pink print to show support for the Susan G. Komen foundation. Mike and his family will donate half of all the money raised to the foundation for breast cancer and will use the other half to help with medical bills.

“We all just want to help in any way possible,” Rodriguez said. “I went with a few friends to see Mike in New York before his surgery and all he could talk about was coming back to Miami for the spring semester.

Ali Kitenplon may be contacted at akitenplon@themiamihurricane.com.

Ali Kitenplon

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...