News Briefs 10/7

Festival Miami 2010 – We can take this out… a story on it is going in Edge

The annual music festival will feature 20 concerts and renowned guest artists over a four-week period starting Oct. 8 and ending Oct. 30. All performances will be held at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall, located at the Frost School of Music. For a complete listing of concerts and to order tickets online visit festivalmiami.com.

Walk for Myeloma

The Miami Heat has partnered with the Walk for Myeloma and is offering regular season tickets to all registered walkers. The sixth-annual walk will take place Sunday at 10 a.m. To learn more e-mail lta.umwalk@gmail.com.

United Way: Text to Give

Support the United Way anytime between Oct. 6 and Oct. 9 by texting “MIA” to 864833. Make a $5 donation to help Team UM United Way 2010 reach its goal. Reply “YES” to confirm the donation.

Change in Wellness Center Guest Policy

Effective Monday, students who want to bring a guest at the current $5 rate must purchase a guest pass at least one day in advance. Guests brought in on the same day will be charged $10. The policy change is aimed at discouraging outsiders from approaching UM students and asking to be signed in as a guest.

Free Flue Shots

All students and University of Miami employees are now able to get free flu shots at the health center. A valid Cane Card is required.

Parking Meter Enforcement Extended

Beginning Monday, motorists will need to pay for on-street parking meters until midnight, including Sundays, when they park in the City of Coral Gables. Parking enforcement will also be in effect on Sundays from 9 a.m. until midnight.

The extended hours will also affect UM campus meters located on Stanford Drive, Dickinson Drive, Pavia Street and San Amaro Drive. All other meters on campus will not be affected by this change.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...