“The Social Network” engaging and dramatic

Courtesy Flickr.

Movie review: “The Social Network”

“The Social Network” is engrossing, smart and dramatic. If you’re questioning whether a movie about a Web site could be worth your $11 ticket, this one delivers.

The film follows an unsettlingly brilliant and driven geek, Mark Zuckerberg, on his journey to develop one of the most popular Web sites on the Internet, Facebook. His motivation is to gain admission to a “final club,” one of Harvard’s secret fraternities. Along the way, Zuckerberg is dumped by his girlfriend, creates some serious enemies, cheats his best friend and falls under the spell of Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake), the founder of Napster.

The back-story is woven seamlessly into the film utilizing two of Zuckerberg’s ongoing court cases. Although a little confusing at first, the film is structured to help viewers understand the consequences of each character’s actions. Switching from a tense moment in the film between Zuckerberg and his ex-friend Eduardo Saverin (Andrew Garfield) to a shot of them sitting across from each other flanked by lawyers helps viewers to understand the eventual effects of their blowout. Founding Facebook helped to bring Zuckerberg and Saverin closer together, but as the film progresses, it also tears them apart.

While the screenplay is clever and genuine, it is brought to life by a skilled cast. In particular, Garfield’s performance as Saverin is convincing. He seems like such a true friend and honest guy that, as a member of the audience, you later feel torn and unsure where your loyalties should lie.

Timberlake does a fair job of portraying Sean Parker, but at times his performance is campy. At one point, Parker offers Zuckerberg into his own “final club” of sorts, a sexy world of deception and wealth. But the intimate conversation takes place at a loud dance club and just as Timberlake reaches the climax of his proposal, the lights in the club change color, making Parker appear devil-like.

The real star of the show is Eisenberg. He perfectly embodies Zuckerberg, a difficult feat, as he is a character of contradictions. He is socially awkward and unconfident but unshakeable when it comes to his computer prowess. He desperately seeks acceptance but severely mistreats his only friend Eduardo, and creates a social media empire only to realize he is even more alone than before. Eisenberg creates the perfect balance between ruthless geek and insecure young adult, making Zuckerberg’s pretentious qualities almost endearing.

“The Social Network” is an intriguing and scandalous story. It is almost so engaging that it makes you question the recounting of the story compared to the actual events. But on a deeper level, “The Social Network” is about the intricacies of human nature, jealousy, greed, betrayal and retribution, and its effect on relationships.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX

“The Social Network”

Rating: 4/4 stars

Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, and Justin Timberlake

Directed by: David Fincher

Screenwriters: Aaron Sorkin and Ben Mezrich

Original music score by: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Released: Oct. 1

Running time: 121 min.

MPAA rating: PG-13

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...