News briefs 10/4

Knight Center named finalist for award

The Knight Center for International Media at the University of Miami School of Communication has been named a finalist for the Online News Association’s prestigious 2010 Online Journalism Award for its “My Story, My Goal” project that looks at global issues such as poverty and education in Africa and Asia. The Knight Center is competing against Syracuse University for the top prize in the Online Video Journalism, student category.

Locks of Love

LINK will be giving haircuts for Locks of Love on Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in UC Ballroom B.

Filmmaker to visit

Filmmaker Kelley Baker will lecture on micro-budget filmmaking and alternative marketing and distribution methods Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. at the Cosford Cinema. A screening of his most recent film “Kicking Bird” will follow at 12:20 p.m.

Invisible Children screening

On Tuesday at 8:45 p.m. the Invisible Children face-to-face tour will screen a film about the war in Uganda and someone will speak about their experiences living in the middle of the conflict. Free food and drinks will be served. Contact invisiblechildrenum@gmail.com with questions.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...