CampusLIVE.com: simplifying student life

Ever wonder what it would be like to have access to all things going on around your college campus at once?

Now you can with the help of CampusLIVE.com. Launched only a year and a half ago, CampusLIVE includes 225 college campus profiles and plans to reach 500 by the end of the month. The site is created for students by students and has all your college needs in one place. You can find out information ranging from what restaurants deliver late during a midnight study break or who is in your organic chemistry class.

“It is a convenient page for students on campus to connect with each other,” said Ryan Durkin, co-founder of CampusLIVE.

He and Boris Revsin, graduates from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, came up with the idea, using a format similar to Facebook.

“We are not competing with Facebook, but rather using it as a leverage,” Durkin said.

The thing that sets CampusLIVE apart is that users do not have to be a registered member to use it or to view other user’s profiles. After creating a registered profile, the Web site links users to their friends who have both a Facebook account and a CampusLIVE account. It also provides customized links based on the user’s interests, which include Web sites like miami.edu, UMail, Blackboard, MyUM, Richter Library, Hurricanesports.com and a map of campus.

Like on other social networks, CampusLIVE users will be able to post comments using a live feed. They can also customize their homepage, linking to favorite Web sites.

CampusLIVE’s homepage also has the latest breaking news stories, weather forecasts and personalized to-do lists.

“I would and I have suggested other students try this site because I think it is a very helpful tool in providing all the commonly visited links for the school on hand in one area,” sophomore Shersil Prentice said. “My favorite thing is definitely the TV Guide link. But honestly, I love absolutely everything about it. It really is a very viable tool.”

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com.

Olivia Woolbright

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...