Soccer

Canes tame Tigers in Soccer

Courtesy of Joshua Kelly//The Tiger

The University of Miami’s women’s soccer team (7-3-1, 1-1) got its first ACC victory of the year with a dominant 3-0 win against the Clemson Tigers (5-6-0, 0-3) at Riggs Field in South Carolina.

Coming off a tough loss against in-state rivals Florida State, the Hurricanes were able to outshoot the Tigers 16-10 in the dominant win.

The first goal of the game came in the 28th minute off a header by freshman Tara Schwitter that hit the crossbar and bounced into the goal off a corner kick by freshman Cassidy Banks that was deflected by junior Ashlee Burt.

The Canes extended the lead in the 58th minute when sophomore Jordan Roseboro took the ball into the box from a through ball by senior Brittney Steinbruch and shot the ball to the opposite post past the reach of the Crimson goalie Lauren Arnold.

The assist gave Steinbruch gave her 73rd point as a Hurricane, making her the program’s all time leading scorer.

In the 72nd minute, Banks gave a perfect goal to freshman Kelly Griffin on the right who took the ball into the box and centered it back to senior Lauren Singer who buried into the back of the net. It was the second goal of the season for Singer.

The Hurricanes now have 22 goals from 11 different players. Matching each goal with a $10 dollar donation, the Canes have now donated $220 dollars to the MALAIKA FOR LIFE organization.

The Canes also dominated the defensive side. UM’s back line led by senior Brittney Macdonald was able to cut off the Tigers’ offensive plays in the last third of the field where the Tigers never were able to figure out a back to break through.

With the help of strong defense, junior Vikki Alonzo was able to record her fourth shutout of the year, and 21st of her career. Alonzo recorded five saves in the game.

The Hurricanes next face Duke on October 7th at 7:30 p.m. in Cobb Stadium. The Hurricanes will be pear up with the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center for Breast Cancer Awareness Night.

The price of ticket will be donated and the players will wear pink jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game. All proceeds will go to breast cancer research.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...