Sports briefs 9/30

Golf

Senior Maria Ronderos placed in the top 15 overall for the first time this season as the Hurricanes returned from the UNCG Starmount Fall Classic on Tuesday.  Senior Christina Hirano also placed in the top 40 in the tournament, which was shortened due to bad weather. The Canes will compete this weekend at Waterlefe Classic in Bradenton, Fl.

Volleyball

After finishing their home stand this past weekend with wins against Virginia Tech and Virginia, the 12-2 Hurricanes will hit the road this weekend, traveling to North Carolina to face the 12-4 North Carolina Tar Heels on Friday night and the 11-4 NC State Wolfpack on Sunday afternoon.  The Canes are 2-1 in ACC play, with their one loss coming against Florida State.

Soccer

The Soccer team aims to rebound from their loss against Florida State this weekend when they will travel to South Carolina to take on the Clemson Tigers.  The Canes, who are 6-3-1, will look to improve their ACC record. They will be back next weekend to face the Duke Blue Devils at home on Oct.7.

Women’s Tennis

Assistant women’s tennis coach Jeff Thomsen was named associate head coach on Wednesday by head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. Thomsen is in his fourth year with the Hurricanes, and has helped the team to advance to the NCAA Sweet 16 in each of his years.  He will still contribute in recruiting, player development, and day-to-say operations.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...