Does STAY mean stay?

Last Friday, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) sent out an alert to students, faculty and employees through its Emergency Notification Network (ENN).

Held hostage and strapped to a suspected bomb, a 25-year-old bank teller was sent into his own branch, Coral Gables’ Bank of America, to assist in a $100,000 robbery.

In emergency situations like this, the ENN system is the best possible communication solution for an open campus like ours. Through a series of messages, UMPD warned students with their STAY policy. STAY is a mnemonic device that stands for “secure your area, take cover, advise and you must take measure to protect your safety.”

Although this policy raises awareness about personal responsibility and safety, it does not directly tell students what future steps should be taken. Where is the action behind these alert messages? The vague messages leave students not only worried, but also curious. We wonder if we’re expected to go to class, or if we should stay on campus or leave. Including specific details of what measures student should take in alert notifications would be beneficial to students.

Two South Miami elementary schools were placed on lockdown during the incident, but UM continued to function as normal. This discrepancy brings to the mind the question, when is a campus lockdown necessary?

Last November, our campus was locked down due to a BB gun scare. If our campus went on lockdown after a situation of lesser intensity, shouldn’t the same precaution be taken when there is a supposed bomb just across the street?

Despite the fact that the hostage incident took place off campus, we should still be aware of the the actions we should take to ensure our safety based on what is happening in the surrounding environment.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...