Does STAY mean stay?

Last Friday, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) sent out an alert to students, faculty and employees through its Emergency Notification Network (ENN).

Held hostage and strapped to a suspected bomb, a 25-year-old bank teller was sent into his own branch, Coral Gables’ Bank of America, to assist in a $100,000 robbery.

In emergency situations like this, the ENN system is the best possible communication solution for an open campus like ours. Through a series of messages, UMPD warned students with their STAY policy. STAY is a mnemonic device that stands for “secure your area, take cover, advise and you must take measure to protect your safety.”

Although this policy raises awareness about personal responsibility and safety, it does not directly tell students what future steps should be taken. Where is the action behind these alert messages? The vague messages leave students not only worried, but also curious. We wonder if we’re expected to go to class, or if we should stay on campus or leave. Including specific details of what measures student should take in alert notifications would be beneficial to students.

Two South Miami elementary schools were placed on lockdown during the incident, but UM continued to function as normal. This discrepancy brings to the mind the question, when is a campus lockdown necessary?

Last November, our campus was locked down due to a BB gun scare. If our campus went on lockdown after a situation of lesser intensity, shouldn’t the same precaution be taken when there is a supposed bomb just across the street?

Despite the fact that the hostage incident took place off campus, we should still be aware of the the actions we should take to ensure our safety based on what is happening in the surrounding environment.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...