Oasis satisfies hunger and heritage

Eli Benhamour, Oasis worker and active member of the Jewish community, talks to sophomore Aaytin Goodman of New York. Goodman states, "Eli is the coolest. He makes the best food." Goodman and Eli were discussing the new T-shirts for the Israel Study Abroad program for spring 2011. Marlena Skrobe//The Miami Hurricane

If it were up to Eli Benhamou, a familiar face at Oasis Deli, educating others would not be limited to the classroom.

Benhamou, the manager and staff supervisor at the University of Miami’s campus kosher deli, is committed to teaching Jewish students on campus about their heritage through the food he serves.

“I see it as a privilege to provide a kosher atmosphere for students trying to study to learn a profession, so they can continue their heritage in pursuit of a secular vocation,” Benhamou said.

Benhamou began working at Oasis in 2008 when President Donna Shalala wanted to open Oasis to better cater to the diverse dietary needs of the student body. The University of Miami’s Rabbi Fellig contacted Benhamou who had previously worked for his father, a local rabbi in Coconut Grove.

Put simply, Kosher dietary laws determine what can and can’t be eaten according to the Torah. This includes ingredients, the way food is cooked and how meat is slaughtered. Everything served at Oasis abides by these rules.

The proposition of a Kosher-certified deli inspired Benhamou.

“I saw it as an opportunity to help students naturally continue their way of life,” he said.

Benhamou, who was born in Brooklyn and raised according to Jewish tradition, appreciates the mesh of cultures at UM. At Oasis, he enjoys seeing how his own culture connects to everyone else’s.

Students of all religions and ethnicities come to Oasis to enjoy the food that Benhamou serves.

“I come because it’s just good Jewish food,” said Jacob Weithorn, a regular at Oasis. “I’m not kosher but I do observe the high holidays.”

According to his coworkers, it is his enthusiasm that keeps people going into Oasis.

“He’s a trip!” said Amiya Mattox, who has worked with Benhamou since the deli opened. “He’s just so funny and he loves to eat.”

Junior Michael Slan, who eats at Oasis at least twice a week, is drawn to Benhamou’s generosity.

“Eli’s a cool guy. Sometimes when they’re about to close, he gives me free soup,” Slan said.

Benhamou serves more than just kosher food at the UM. He also shares guidance in hopes that students will be inspired to live faithfully.

“If I have one message I want to convey it’s for people to love who they are and indentify themselves, especially according to Torah,” he said.

Elissa Decampli may be contacted at edecampli@themiamihurricane.com.

Elissa Decampli

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...