Kappa Kutz for donations

On Monday, UM’s chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi (KAP) hosted “Kappa Kutz.” Male freshmen were invited to get a free haircut by Steven Rivera, owner of Get Right Kutz in downtown Miami. Rivera is also known as the UM football team’s barber.

The Greek community takes pride not only in friendship, leadership and scholarship but also in philanthropy. Every fraternity and sorority sponsors a charity or foundation, and they put on events and fundraisers to benefit them throughout the year.

In 2005, KAP began a partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Nationally, KAP raised a total of $100,000 for St. Jude last year alone. The proceeds earned at “Kappa Kutz” will go towards their annual donation to St. Jude.

KAP’s treasurer, Tyler Koenig, said they expect to earn around $150 through donations.

“This is a great way to get our name out there to freshmen that may decide to rush this spring,” Koenig said.

Advisor to KAP, Kareem-Nelson Hull, noted that they are the first chapter to do “Kappa Kutz.”

“In 2006 we had a brother join that was a barber and he came up with the idea,” he said. “We’re committed to doing this because we know how hard it is for freshmen to feel comfortable away from home. We want to help them groom themselves because personal appearance is important in college.”

The first 12 freshmen to sign up were guaranteed haircuts. Freshman Sarphi Delal said an event like this was just what he needed.

“I’ve been needing this haircut for a long time!” he said.

Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Rebecca Zimmer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...