Kappa Kutz for donations

On Monday, UM’s chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi (KAP) hosted “Kappa Kutz.” Male freshmen were invited to get a free haircut by Steven Rivera, owner of Get Right Kutz in downtown Miami. Rivera is also known as the UM football team’s barber.

The Greek community takes pride not only in friendship, leadership and scholarship but also in philanthropy. Every fraternity and sorority sponsors a charity or foundation, and they put on events and fundraisers to benefit them throughout the year.

In 2005, KAP began a partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Nationally, KAP raised a total of $100,000 for St. Jude last year alone. The proceeds earned at “Kappa Kutz” will go towards their annual donation to St. Jude.

KAP’s treasurer, Tyler Koenig, said they expect to earn around $150 through donations.

“This is a great way to get our name out there to freshmen that may decide to rush this spring,” Koenig said.

Advisor to KAP, Kareem-Nelson Hull, noted that they are the first chapter to do “Kappa Kutz.”

“In 2006 we had a brother join that was a barber and he came up with the idea,” he said. “We’re committed to doing this because we know how hard it is for freshmen to feel comfortable away from home. We want to help them groom themselves because personal appearance is important in college.”

The first 12 freshmen to sign up were guaranteed haircuts. Freshman Sarphi Delal said an event like this was just what he needed.

“I’ve been needing this haircut for a long time!” he said.

Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Rebecca Zimmer

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...