Kappa Kutz for donations

On Monday, UM’s chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi (KAP) hosted “Kappa Kutz.” Male freshmen were invited to get a free haircut by Steven Rivera, owner of Get Right Kutz in downtown Miami. Rivera is also known as the UM football team’s barber.

The Greek community takes pride not only in friendship, leadership and scholarship but also in philanthropy. Every fraternity and sorority sponsors a charity or foundation, and they put on events and fundraisers to benefit them throughout the year.

In 2005, KAP began a partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Nationally, KAP raised a total of $100,000 for St. Jude last year alone. The proceeds earned at “Kappa Kutz” will go towards their annual donation to St. Jude.

KAP’s treasurer, Tyler Koenig, said they expect to earn around $150 through donations.

“This is a great way to get our name out there to freshmen that may decide to rush this spring,” Koenig said.

Advisor to KAP, Kareem-Nelson Hull, noted that they are the first chapter to do “Kappa Kutz.”

“In 2006 we had a brother join that was a barber and he came up with the idea,” he said. “We’re committed to doing this because we know how hard it is for freshmen to feel comfortable away from home. We want to help them groom themselves because personal appearance is important in college.”

The first 12 freshmen to sign up were guaranteed haircuts. Freshman Sarphi Delal said an event like this was just what he needed.

“I’ve been needing this haircut for a long time!” he said.

Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Rebecca Zimmer

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...