A rush and a buzz are bad mixers

Down a 24-ounce can of Four Loko and you’re getting a ton of caffeine plus the equivalent of almost three beers for under $3.

Loaded with 12 percent alcohol, Four Loko is just one of several energy-plus-alcohol drinks on the market. The drink is made with gaurana, taurine, caffeine and wormwood (the vital ingredient in absinthe).

Four Loko flavors such as cranberry lemonade, watermelon, brazillian berry and orange blend are becoming popular among young adults who want to get inebriated faster and get an extra dose of caffeine.

This popular alcoholic energy drink, however, has become a contentious topic. By some it’s known as “legalized liquid cocaine.”

The fact that mixing alcohol with caffeine can be risky and dangerous is not news to college students and medical experts.

In a study conducted at Wake Forest University, college students who mix alcohol and caffeine are more likely to experience more alcohol-related injuries than students who stick solely to alcohol. Caffeine and alcohol are also diuretics, and the two combined can cause severe dehydration.

According to The Wall Street Journal, attorneys general in many states are examining Four Loko’s possible health risks. They are also looking into the marketing practices used to sell it.

At first glance, the packaging of this energy-alcohol drink looks like your typical soda or an iced tea at a corner market. But don’t be fooled.

The colorful, inviting Four Loko cans inspire curiousity in consumers. Not to mention, these drinks are quietly placed next to Red Bull and Monster at gas stations.

Even politicians and community organizations are speaking out against Four Loko. A candidate for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives said this drink “is having our young people black out.”

Clearly this drink is designed to appeal to the college market. In a culture where binge drinking is a common occurance Four Loko shouldn’t be the go-to drink of the evening.

More than one can could be one too many.

Ordering one vodka and Red Bull at a bar is not the same as downing a Four Loko in the parking lot outside of a 7-Eleven.

You don’t have to read the fine print to know that this product requires drinking responsibly.

Blacking out is dangerous no matter how it happens.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...