Racism is unneccesary

Yesterday, Hurricane Sports tweeted “Jacory Harris said he received tweets from people saying that UM doesn’t need a black quarterback.” Shortly after, the site tweeted, “Jacory: ‘A tweet like that almost brings you to tears. I put it out of my mind and move forward.’”

Last Tuesday head coach Randy Shannon forced his players to shut down their Twitter accounts; Jacory Harris shut his down on Wednesday morning. “Goal is to limit distractions and focus,” said the statement posted on the athletic department’s account, @hurricanesports.

We are unsure the real reason to why the football players were asked to stop using their accounts on this social network; was it really just to limit distractions? After receiving unnecessary racist tweets, it’s understandable why Shannon would make his players get rid of their Twitter accounts. According to a press conference yesterday, the racial comment directed at Harris had no bearing on Shannon’s decision.

What good comes out of criticizing and leaving inappropriate comments through a social network to a 20-year-old athlete who is juggling both the responsibilities of a student and a football player?

After our loss to Ohio State shouldn’t we be encouraging and cheering for our own quarterback? It’s a completely different story to sit behind a pseudonym (aka Twitter username) on the Internet and express the hatred and intolerance of another race. As a football player, he is constantly receiving criticism; why add uncalled for, racist comments to hurt him?

Although white athletes dominate the quarterback position, there is no reasonable excuse for these shameful comments directed towards Harris, or to anyone else.

Terelle Pryor of Ohio State University is a Heisman candidate. Michael Vick broke records and led Virginia Tech to the BCS title game in 1999. We should be focusing more on a quarterback’s running ability, field vision, ball handling and leadership not his race.

The Hurricane football team was the first program to recruit athletes from the inner city. We were progressive as a university in the 80s. Don’t let that change.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...