News Briefs 9/20

Shalala honored with Nelson Mandela Award

On Thursday, University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala was awarded the 2010 Nelson Mandela Award for Health and Human Rights. The award recognizes Shalala for her dedication to advancing access to health care in the United States, helping disadvantaged people around the world, and her special commitment to ending apartheid and developing democracy in South Africa.

“Whether it’s providing better health care to soldiers returning from two wars, or shaping the future of nursing here at home, or providing relief efforts in Haiti, or providing leadership on health reform, Donna Shalala has always been there when the people of our country and the world have needed her,” said Kaiser Family Foundation President and CEO Drew Altman, in a UM media release.

UM Mortar Board chapter receives National Award

The Nu Kappa Tau chapter at The University of Miami was among the outstanding chapters to be honored for its excellence at the 2010 Mortar Board National Conference, held July 23-25 in Chicago. The group was one of 77 chapters to receive the Silver Torch Award, presented to chapters exemplifying the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. Chapter President Christine Pao and advisor Dayle Wilson were present to accept the award.

Compiled by Parker Davis  who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...