Club/Intramural Sports

Fencing team grows

Members of the University of Miami fencing club practice lounging with the saber weapon. Andrew Murphy leads instruction for the group in a Tuesday practice. There are three weapons in fencing: Sabre, Epée and Foil. The club is working on becoming more competitive this year by sending 20 competitors to the University of Florida for a tournament. Lindsay Brown//Photo editor

Every movie worth watching includes at least one epic sword battle. From “Star Wars” light sabers, to the bloody blades of Uma Thurman in “Kill Bill,” sword fights have become a part of pop culture.

Now, students at UM can experience the real deal by joining the Fencing Club.

Fencing is the sport of dueling with swords. It is one of four sports to be included in every modern Olympic Games since the first in 1896.

There are three styles of fencing (epee, saber and foil), each with their own rules and techniques.

A huge priority is put on safety. Masks are designed to resist 1600 Newtons; to put that in perspective, a bullet delivers 400.

Girls wear breastplates, guys wear cups, and everyone wears a mask, jacket, glove, and a host of other things to make the possibility of injury very small.

At 37 members, UM’s Fencing Club is at its largest size in recent memory.

“Last year we had like four people,” laughs Club President Kenneth David Fernandez Prada.

The UM Fencing Club has been around since the 1950s but, according to Prada, hasn’t done very much until recently. Since Prada took over the club’s leadership, he has been working hard to get its name out there.

“There’s not a lot of fencing spirit in Florida,” he said, citing the northeast as more of a fencing hotbed.

Nonetheless, the Fencing Club has an ambitious tournament schedule. It includes the Temple Open, where UM will compete against Harvard and the other Ivies.

Without sponsorship, however, the club’s funding isn’t enough to take them to many more.

The Fencing Club, however, is certainly in able hands. Prada won his first international tournament at the age of 7, and was on the Colombian national team. In addition, he coached 45 other students in his high school fencing program.

He makes it clear, however, that most members have little to no experience when they join.

At meetings some members are just learning to lunge, while others have scored matches along the wall. Students of all skill levels are welcome to join.

Club officer Laura Gonzalez can attest to this firsthand.

“I was never good at sports,” she said with a laugh, “But I played video games, so I was interested in sword fighting. When I saw the fencing club at CaneFest, something just clicked.”

As someone who started out with no experience, Gonzalez is now one who teaches the beginners at club meetings.

“It’s amazing!” raves freshman George Wu, who recently attended his second meeting. “Really tiring, but amazing.”

Despite fencing’s serious nature, the atmosphere at a club meeting is anything but serious.

Members are warm and friendly; helping each other through drills and offering words of encouragement.

“We’re a big family,” Gonzalez says fondly.

“People here are different,” agrees Nina Pi, who’s just finished her second meeting. “There’s a magic in the air.”

If you’d like to join the Fencing Club, meetings are held every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:40-10:30 p.m. at the Herbert Wellness Center in Multipurpose Room A. Contact FencingUM@gmail.com for more info. Cost is $25 per semester.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Malik Rosier is back. After spending the past two games as N’Kosi Perry’s backup, Rosier is back und ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ linebackers corps took a bit of a hit this week as Charles Perry is no longer ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...

The University of Miami wrapped up its trip to the SMU Classic on Saturday afternoon, finishing the ...

Three Hurricanes remain alive in Bedford Cup main draw play, as Lucia Marzel Martinez advanced to th ...