Club/Intramural Sports

Racquetball host charity benefit

The squeaking sound of sneakers hitting the pavement, cheering voices and the sound of the ball going in all directions greets fans at the racquetball courts. But this past weekend, players were not only gathered for the love of game, but also to contribute to a cause.

Racquetball players of all ages gathered in the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center for the UM Doubles and Collegiate Shootout Tournament, two tournaments in one with about 70 participants. The doubles tournament was sanctioned by the U.S. Racquetball Association (USRA) and it was open to the public. The other USRA sanction tournament was for collegiate Florida schools. UM, the University of Florida, Palm Beach College and Palm Beach Atlantic University participated in the event.

Every year, the tournament raises money to donate to a charity of its choice. This year, the racquetball club and Phi Delta Epsilon joined forces to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network. The charity event had a silent auction and a raffle. Around $700 were raised during the two-day tournament.

The racquetball club consists of eight team members who are UM students and 25 club members who are associated with UM, including professors and graduate students. They meet every Wednesday and Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in courts two and three at the Wellness Center.

The racquetball club has earned notoriety under the leadership of Alain Pujolar. Pujolar, president of the UM racquetball club and member of Phi Delta Epsilon, is currently ranked as the No. 1 collegiate player in Florida under the U.S. Racquetball Association. This past weekend, Pujolar won the collegiate tournament in both singles and doubles.

“We had a good turnout, I am really happy that we were able to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network,” Pujolar said.

The Racquetball team hosts two big tournaments. SplapFest, held in October, is open to all UM students. It is a festival to encourage people who are interested in playing raquetball, regardless of skill level. The first and second place winners of SplapFest will receive a medal and racquetball gear. The Great Balls of Fire tournament is open to the public and is held during spring.

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela1@themiamihurricane.com.

Rosa Orihuela

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...