Is the Heat too Hot to Handle?

With the acquirement of basketball stars LeBron James and Chris Bosh, the Miami Heat are finally looking complete and competitive.

Since the 2006 championship, the talented Dwyane Wade has been lacking a strong supporting cast, receiving little help from exciting trades that ultimately changed nothing. However, this year his own selfless attitude has guaranteed him a spot on a historical roster and more importantly, a shot at winning multiple golden trophies.

In order to create cap space for a complete transformation of the team, Dwyane demonstrated true leadership and dedication by taking a massive pay cut that allowed the Heat to sign both Lebron and Bosh for five years at 14.5 million dollars per year. This leader personally targeted Lebron and Bosh, and had no problem sharing his team and salary with them if it meant creating one of the best basketball teams the NBA has ever seen. The impressive 2010 Heat roster includes these three superstars and veteran players such as Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Eddie House, and Juwan Howard.

As one could assume, things will be drastically different for the Heat next year. First of all, the demand for tickets has skyrocketed to the point where Heat President Pat Riley decided to fire his entire sales staff seeing that the upcoming season was entirely sold out! In addition to the joyous celebrations that are occurring throughout South Beach and Downtown Miami, various questions have risen concerning the rapidly approaching 2010-2011 NBA season. Will the amazing trio work well together on one team and keep their egos in check? Is there simply too much star power and talent for one coach to manage?

Finally, does this intimidating roster guarantee the Miami Heat a relatively easy pathway to the championship for five consecutive years? Unfortunately, nobody can predict the answers to these questions; however, all Heat fans must believe in their team just as Dwyane Wade did while forming this memorable franchise. In the words of Miami Heat announcer Michael Baiamonte, the time has come for all you Heat fans to “STAND UP… AND…. MAKE SOME NOISE… FOR YOUR… MIAMI HHEEEEAAAATTTTT!”

Sari Libbin is a public relations major. She may be contacted at slibbin@themiamihurricane.com.

Sari Libbin

Contributing EDGE writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...