Football, Sports

The scoop on the team

How many shows are getting unlimited access to your favorite football team that is broadcast all over the state of Florida? Only one.

"Voice of the Hurricanes" Joe Zagacki prepares to tape an installment of Hurricane Gameday, a UMTV production that focuses on Miami Hurricanes football. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

“Hurricane Gameday” has found its new permanent home here at the School of Communication.

Emmy Award-winning sports producer and editor Nelson Martel was brought in to help with UMTV’s “Hurricane Gameday” by mentoring the students.

But the backbone of the show is comprised of students who work as the crew and handle all the filming.

The opportunity gives communication students hands-on experience in producing a show that reaches 6.4 million homes in Florida on the Comcast CSS network.

“It’s [in]Studio C which is part of the cable studios that are through the School of Communication,” Broadcast Operations Director Natalia Crujeires said. “What we have is a new set element within that studio; it has been specifically designed for [Hurricane Gameday].”

Since “Hurricane Gameday” is now on campus and filmed by students, it can now provide unlimited access to fans of UM athletics.

So far this season, “Hurricane Gameday” has provided its wide array of viewers access to Randy Shannon during a pre-season scrimmage, as well as giving viewers a glimpse the football team on a trip to the movies during their leisure time.

For future shows, “Hurricane Gameday” will provide weight room footage, access to the locker room on game days and more time with the team to and from the away games.

The show will not just cover football, but will also get up close and personal with both men’s and women’s basketball and baseball later this year. The contract with CSS runs during the academic school year.

“The pressure is on,” Crujeires said. “This particular show [differs from]other shows in that it is put on for a network on CSS which brings a whole new dimension and expectation of course.”

Rico Dominguez may be contacted at rdominguez@themiamihurricane.com.

Enrico Dominguez

Contributing Edge Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...