Academic Fellows walk the walk for freshmen

Sophomore Pierre-Richard "Ricky" Gautier walks the runway during the Fashion Show. ACAR organized their third annual fashion show held on the Hecht Stanford Bridge Tuesday evening. Brittney Bomnin//Art Director

As the models line up just minutes before the show, their jokes and smiles show a level of comfort that some professionals take years to develop. Perhaps their confidence is due to the fact that these models were preparing to walk down a red paper runway with hip-hop beats serving as background music.

The annual Academic Fellow (AF) Fashion Show took place on the Hecht-Stanford Bridge Tuesday evening, with each Academic Fellow from Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges dressed in a different outfit in order to demonstrate to freshmen the “right” and “wrong” ways to dress for certain events, from business professional to a spirited Cane’s game day gear.

As the models walked along the runway, an active crowd of about 50 students whistled, clapped and yelled their approval for the different outfits.

“The idea behind it is to showcase what is appropriate and inappropriate for students to wear, knowing that what students wear to class is really the first thing they say about themselves,” said V. Chunoo, the academic and career advisor for Hecht.

In the event’s third year, an additional part was added on to the show: short video clips between the models’ runway walks that teach freshman some basic mistakes to avoid, such as not using cell phones during class and not leaving the classroom early.

The fashion show is just one way that the school looks to help freshmen transition into a college lifestyle.

“All the people here that work at Hecht always like to be friendly and there’s a lot of programs to help you get involved,” freshman Kaitlyn Rancour said.

Bolton Lancaster may be contacted at blancaster@themiamihurricane.com.

Bolton Lancaster

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...