Sports briefs 9/13

Women’s Tennis

The tennis team will open up their season with four student-athletes ranked by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. Senior Bianca Eichkorn headlines the Hurricanes with a ranking of No. 14 in the nation, with juniors Anna Bartenstein and Gabriela Mejia ranked No. 53 and 83, respectively. Two doubles teams also ranked in the top 20, with the Eichkorn and Bartenstein duo at No.16 and Mejia and sophomore Danielle Mills at No.17. The season is set to kick off with the Hurricane Invitational starting on Sept. 24.

Baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Wednesday at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at 305-284-4171.

Track and Field

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem was named the head coach for IAFF Continental Cup for the Americas team, which consisted of runners from North, Central and South America, as well as Caribbean Track and Field Federations. The Continental Cup is a competition between the Americas, Africa, Europe and Asia/Pacific. The Americans were narrowly beaten by Europe, 429 to 419.5 seconds, and ended in second place.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...