Soccer

Soccer squad wins Hurricane Cup

The University of Miami won the Hurricane Cup with wins over West Virginia and North Dakota State University.

“One of our goals for the weekend to have control of our tournament and take first place,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We need to have that mentality in preparation of post season two game weekends.”

The Canes opened up the Cup with a come from behind 2-1 victory over the West Virginia Mountaineers.

Senior Brittney Steinbruch scored in the 88th minute to give the Hurricanes the win at home.

“It was huge,” said Steinbruch of the win. “We were playing great and we just needed a chance to really finish it and put it away.”

Blake Miller opened up the scoring for the Mountaineers in the 74th minute with a shot from the right outside the box that curved into the far post out of the reach of Junior Vikki Alonzo.

“We don’t settle for a tie or getting scored on,” Taliaferro said. “The way we responded showed our character to be able to push through even though we’re hurting.”

In the 83rd minute, senior Ashlee Burt got the equalizer lobbing a header over the Mountaineer goalie Kerri Butler from an Ali Brennan free kick.

“Ali and Burt got that play going and after we got pumped up all over again,” Steinbruch said.
“It was a team effort to come back and make it happen in the last couple of minutes.”

Just three minutes later, Steinbruch was able to run past the Mountaineer defenders to get a one-on-one against goalie Kerri Butler and score the game winner. It is Steinbruch’s fourth goal of the season.

The Hurricanes closed out the Cup with a win against the North Dakota State Bison 1-0.

Sophomore Kate Howarth got the game winner in 7th minute with a superb shot from outside the box to the upper left corner out of the reach of Bison’s’ goalie Kathy Kelsey. Howarth is tied with Steinbruch as the Canes leading scorer with four goals.

“I just had time so I hit it,” Howarth said. “When we got up in the last the more we hit it the more we score.”

Sophomore Fatima Nasser got the Canes another good opportunity with a shot in the box that hit the lower right post.

Miami outshot their opponents 17 to 2 in a game in which the Hurricanes consistently pressed forward.

Steinbruch was nominated the Offensive MVP of the Cup and Brittney McDonald got the Tournament MVP.  Vikki Alonzo recorded the 20th shutout of her career.

“As a defensive unit we’re really coming together,” McDonald said. “Once the defense is in order we can push forward and focus on scoring goals.”

The Hurricanes next face Fordham Friday, Sep. 17 at 7:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.