Muslim-American freedom of religion under fire

Setting the world on edge with his plan to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11, Pastor Terry Jones stated on Thursday he would “suspend” the event.

Whether he decides to burn the Quran or not, Jones has already achieved his goals and has gained his 15 minutes of fame. It all began with Jones’ tweet on July 12: “9/11/2010 Int Burn a Quran Day.”

The rise of a tweet from Gainesville to global news is a story of disgust and hatred utilizing social media networks.Before the speedy spread of news on the Internet, an ignorant, detestable individual such as Jones would have publicized his intentions locally, and would have gone unnoticed by the rest of the world.

How did such a fringe figure become world news? It’s a shame that lunatic characters like Jones are receiving worldwide attention, because that is just what they’re craving: publicity.

We must understand that the plan to burn the holy Quran on 9/11 is completely contrary to our values as Americans. Although what he planned isn’t illegal, it would be extremely hurtful to United States service men and women and to our Muslim-American population.

When someone tries to tell Muslims that they are not allowed to practice their religion wherever they choose, he or she should understand how a society that acknowledges Jones’ freedom of speech must also recognize their freedom of religion.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...