Muslim-American freedom of religion under fire

Setting the world on edge with his plan to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11, Pastor Terry Jones stated on Thursday he would “suspend” the event.

Whether he decides to burn the Quran or not, Jones has already achieved his goals and has gained his 15 minutes of fame. It all began with Jones’ tweet on July 12: “9/11/2010 Int Burn a Quran Day.”

The rise of a tweet from Gainesville to global news is a story of disgust and hatred utilizing social media networks.Before the speedy spread of news on the Internet, an ignorant, detestable individual such as Jones would have publicized his intentions locally, and would have gone unnoticed by the rest of the world.

How did such a fringe figure become world news? It’s a shame that lunatic characters like Jones are receiving worldwide attention, because that is just what they’re craving: publicity.

We must understand that the plan to burn the holy Quran on 9/11 is completely contrary to our values as Americans. Although what he planned isn’t illegal, it would be extremely hurtful to United States service men and women and to our Muslim-American population.

When someone tries to tell Muslims that they are not allowed to practice their religion wherever they choose, he or she should understand how a society that acknowledges Jones’ freedom of speech must also recognize their freedom of religion.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...