Muslim-American freedom of religion under fire

Setting the world on edge with his plan to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11, Pastor Terry Jones stated on Thursday he would “suspend” the event.

Whether he decides to burn the Quran or not, Jones has already achieved his goals and has gained his 15 minutes of fame. It all began with Jones’ tweet on July 12: “9/11/2010 Int Burn a Quran Day.”

The rise of a tweet from Gainesville to global news is a story of disgust and hatred utilizing social media networks.Before the speedy spread of news on the Internet, an ignorant, detestable individual such as Jones would have publicized his intentions locally, and would have gone unnoticed by the rest of the world.

How did such a fringe figure become world news? It’s a shame that lunatic characters like Jones are receiving worldwide attention, because that is just what they’re craving: publicity.

We must understand that the plan to burn the holy Quran on 9/11 is completely contrary to our values as Americans. Although what he planned isn’t illegal, it would be extremely hurtful to United States service men and women and to our Muslim-American population.

When someone tries to tell Muslims that they are not allowed to practice their religion wherever they choose, he or she should understand how a society that acknowledges Jones’ freedom of speech must also recognize their freedom of religion.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...