Muslim-American freedom of religion under fire

Setting the world on edge with his plan to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11, Pastor Terry Jones stated on Thursday he would “suspend” the event.

Whether he decides to burn the Quran or not, Jones has already achieved his goals and has gained his 15 minutes of fame. It all began with Jones’ tweet on July 12: “9/11/2010 Int Burn a Quran Day.”

The rise of a tweet from Gainesville to global news is a story of disgust and hatred utilizing social media networks.Before the speedy spread of news on the Internet, an ignorant, detestable individual such as Jones would have publicized his intentions locally, and would have gone unnoticed by the rest of the world.

How did such a fringe figure become world news? It’s a shame that lunatic characters like Jones are receiving worldwide attention, because that is just what they’re craving: publicity.

We must understand that the plan to burn the holy Quran on 9/11 is completely contrary to our values as Americans. Although what he planned isn’t illegal, it would be extremely hurtful to United States service men and women and to our Muslim-American population.

When someone tries to tell Muslims that they are not allowed to practice their religion wherever they choose, he or she should understand how a society that acknowledges Jones’ freedom of speech must also recognize their freedom of religion.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A cadre of 75 students have been hired to support safety on the University’s Coral Gables Campus and

After two and half years of construction, the 12-acre facility officially opened its doors on Thursd

Get Out The Vote, the university’s chapter of the nonpartisan initiative headed by the Division of S

The University of Miami’s Coral Gables Campus recently received a “Tree Campus USA” designation from

Parking enforcement on the Coral Gables Campus (including the Gables One Tower) begins Monday, Aug.