‘Lebanon’ emotionally brutalizing, brilliant

Lebanon, a portrait of Israeli soldiers during the 1982 invasion. Courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics.

“Lebanon” is not a film that is easy to experience.

As a war movie, it is fantastic, echoing the claustrophobia of “Das Boot” and the futility of “Apocalypse Now,” but it succeeds even more when it is viewed as a film about relationships, namely the bond between a small team of Israeli soldiers in a tank on the first day of the 1982 Lebanon War.

The soldiers in the tank, codenamed “Rhino,” are all young and desperate to survive the war. For those who do live to see the end of the conflict, many of the lingering effects are psychological and emotional.

It is fairly obvious why the Lebanon War has been such fertile ground for Israeli cinema. “Lebanon” follows the same vein of “Waltz with Bashir” and “Beaufort,” two other recent, introspective films about soldiers in the conflict.

Director Samuel Maoz’s semi-autobiographical film spares nothing regarding the horrifying realities of war; half-maimed bodies, dying animals, promises of torture and the emotional strain placed on both ordinary soldiers and innocent civilians are all shown in vivid fashion.

The film doesn’t proselytize or take sides, rather it focuses on the emotional hell of the soldiers, some of whom are weeks from being discharged, and the stress, turmoil and uncertainty of their existence both in and out of the tank.

It isn’t always easy to tell the soldiers apart, but the performances are uniformly excellent and the lack of distinction adds to the “everyman” quality of the film; the soldiers could have been from any country in any conflict. In a way, Lebanon is a politicized take on Jean-Paul Sartre’s “No Exit:” hell is the other soldiers, complete with fraying nerves and uncertain survival.

“Lebanon” is emotionally brutalizing and extremely visceral. It is not enjoyable by most measures, but it is an incredible experience and a brilliant film.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 4/4 stars
Starring: Oshri Cohen, Michael Moshonov, Itay Tiran
Directed By: Samuel Maoz
MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...