Baseball

UM baseball player arrested Wednesday night

Frankie Ratcliff

According to a report on NBC Miami’s Web site, sophomore Frankie Ratcliff was arrested after 9 p.m. on Wednesday when he tried to sell pot to undercover Coral Gables detectives.

Ratcliff, who is the starting second baseman for the University of Miami baseball team, tried to negotiate the sale of 21 grams of marijuana for $220 on the 1200 block of Dickinson Drive.

After Ratcliff consented toward the officers searching his apartment, they found three more bags of pot totaling 101 grams. There were also 19 vials of steroids. He was charged with marijuana sale within 1,000 feet of a school, marijuana possession over 20 grams and possession of steroids.

UM issued the following statement Thursday morning:

“The University of Miami is aware of the arrest of student-athlete Frank Ratcliff,” it read. “The Athletic Department has suspended him indefinitely from all athletic activities.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...