Craigslist cracks down on Adult Services section

Under tremendous pressure from 17 state attorneys general and several public advocacy groups, Craigslist removed their Adult Services section in the United States on Saturday, replacing it with a black bar that says “censored”. The attorneys general stated that this section of the Web site was facilitating prostitution, exploitation and human trafficking.

After the jailhouse suicide last month of medical student Philip Markoff, who was awaiting trial in the killing of a masseuse he met through Craigslist, the ad listings were questioned.

This dispute is one of the most prominent in the controversy over free speech on the Internet. We ask ourselves, how much responsibility does a Web site like Craigslist have for these illegal activities and for their users’ posts?

Instead of seeing this situation as an obstacle to their site, Craigslist should realize the problem at hand and use it as an opportunity to tackle this ongoing haunting issue.

Currently, Craigslist still has 250 other erotic pages globally where children and women are still being sold for sex. If Craigslist is committed to ending human trafficking, the Web site should shut down the other adult services sections that are available worldwide.

Blocking all adult ads on Craigslist is the first step in the right direction; however, this action by itself will not solve the major issue.

Just because the Adult Services section disappears does not mean the ads will too. This will have no impact on the amount of prostitution that occurs globally because there are many other services out there. These prostitution ads will simply link to other sites.

Rather than going after just the advertisements, officials need to push for law enforcement efforts to use information from services like Craigslist to go after human traffickers and those who profit off of harming others. We severely need to urge sites like Craigslist to work with law enforcement, as well as devise new plans to fight this abusive industry and find more resources to control the visibility of the Web.

In order to commit to ending the use of this Web site as a platform for trafficking and the sexual enslavement of children and young women, we must take further action to solve the problem. If we care about eradicating the misery that exploited women and children experience, and want to stop this exploitation, we need to stop disregarding this and be aware of the actual issue.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...