Sports briefs: 9/2

Try out for Hurricane baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park over the next few weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at (305)284-4171.

Track & Field

Ashton Purvis, a member of the Hurricanes incoming Freshman class, has been named the 2009-2010 ESPN RISE DyeStat Girls Athlete of the Year. She had previously won the Gatorade National Track and Field Athlete of the Year, beating out 457,000 other female track and field athletes nationwide.

Soccer

The Soccer team will travel to Fort Myers this weekend to play in the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament. They will face the Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday night, as well as the Kent State Golden Flashes on Sunday morning. The team will be back home to take on West Virginia on Friday, Sept. 10.

Volleyball

The Volleyball team will be in Tennessee this weekend playing in the Middle Tennessee Blue Raider Bash. There they will face off against Auburn on Friday and both Southern Mississippi and Georgia Southern on Saturday before playing host Middle Tennessee on Sunday.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...