Soccer

Senior sets goal-scoring record in second half

Brittney Steinbruch sets new UM record with 31 goals. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

The University of Miami women’s soccer team hosted interstate rival Florida Gulf Coast University for their home opener in Cobb Stadium, defeating the Eagles 3-1 with two goals by senior Brittney Steinbruch.

Steinbruch became the Hurricanes’ leading career scorer with her first goal of the night, totaling 31 goals in her career with the Canes.

“It’s great to represent the team at home or away,” she said. “But it was great that my parents were here and got to see it.”

The Canes dominated the game, especially in the second half when the Eagles’ offense disappeared. The Hurricanes outshot the Eagles 28-6 with sophomore Kate Howarth leading Miami with six shots.

“We didn’t really change much in the second half,” UM sophomore Jordan Roseboro said. “But we really changed our mentality when we came back out on the field.”

The Eagles were most successful on the counterattack as Miami pressed forward, relying on their speed up top to try and catch the Canes’ defense off guard.

In the 25th minute, Steinbruch had a shot on goal that was blocked by the Eagles’ goalie Stephanie Powers, hitting the crossbar before being cleared by the opposing team’s defense.

The Canes had another close chance when Fatima Nasser hit the crossbar in the 49th minute.

Steinbruch scored in the 59th minute with a shot to the lower left post off an assist by freshman Kelley Griffin, giving the Hurricanes the 1-0 lead and becoming Miami’s all-time leading scorer.

“The win is always the most important thing,” Steinbruch said. “But it was a great moment.”

It was Steinbruch’s 30th career goal with the Hurricanes, passing former leader Brittney Butcher with 29.

“Steinbruch has really taken the team to another level,” coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “It was great to see her get the goal.”

Roseboro added to the score in the 62nd minute off a deflection by Powers off a shot by Lauren Singer, which she buried into the back of the net from just a couple feet out.

Steinbruch got her second goal of the half in the 62 minute with a shot inside the box to the lower left post, outside of the reach of Stephanie Powers, to give Miami the resounding 3-0 lead. Steinbruch now has three goals for the season.

“We really stressed playing quicker in the second half,” said Coach Taliaferro. “The three goals in three minutes was exactly the kind of play we need.”

Junior Vikki Alonzo saved her second penalty kick of the season in the 81st minute, stopping a shot by the Eagles’ Brittney Burt.

Alonzo’s luck ran out just three minutes later when the Eagles were awarded another penalty kick in the 84th minute. The Eagles’ Amanda Goble was able to bury it into the back of the net to make the final score 3-1.

The Hurricanes will next face Arkansas on Friday in Fort Myers at 4:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...