UM professor loses battle to cancer

Law student Tyler Kirk, Sailor, Professor Bruce Winick and Bruno Brittney Bomnin // File Photo

Bruce J. Winick, an esteemed University of Miami law professor, passed away early Thursday from complications of cancer at the age of 65.

Winick was known for more than 36 years of teaching and advocacy, revolutionizing mental health law.

The first Laurie Silvers and Mitchell Rubenstein Distinguished Professor of Law in 2009, Winick focused his work on therapeutic jurisprudence, a field that focuses on human dignity and worth in the legal system.

Winick, who was often seen around campus with his seeing-eye dog, lost the majority of his eyesight in his late 20s and was an inspiration to many visually impaired students.

He was born with retinitis pigmentosa, a congenital disorder that causes gradual deterioration of sight.

“Bruce will be deeply missed, and our thoughts and prayers go out to his daughter, our colleague Margot Winick, his family and his many, many friends,” President Donna E. Shalala said in a statement released Thursday.

According to Margot Winick, assistant vice president of media relations and multimedia at UM, students, friends and colleagues have been posting their appreciation for Winick on his Facebook fan page and on her personal page.

“On behalf of the whole family, we’re touched by the outpouring of support and tribute we are receiving,” Margot Winick said. “The response has been really touching and beautiful, and the family just appreciates that warmth.”

The School of Law will be holding a celebration of his life for the university community. Details regarding the memorial have yet to be confirmed.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...