Staff Editorial: Bridging the gap between safety and savings

On Wednesday night, a University of Miami senior was hit by a Ford Expedition as she was crossing U.S. 1 at Mariposa Court. The driver of the SUV tried to swerve away from her, but she found herself injured and lying in the grass near the Metrorail.

This is not the first time an incident like this has occurred. Since 1990, seven UM students have been hit crossing U.S 1, three resulting in deaths.

Following a fatal incident in April 2005, Student Government passed the “Ashley Kelly Resolution,” advocating a pedestrian overpass to be built across U.S. 1 at Mariposa Court. Unfortunately, the project was removed from Miami-Dade Transit’s capital improvement plan due to fiscal challenges.

Why can’t our university get an approval from Florida’s Department of Transportation or the county to fund the design and construction of this pedestrian bridge?

In the past, UM has promoted student safety by making use of shuttles to Coconut Grove, establishing student patrol programs and planning a $200,000 expansion of security cameras in September 2009. This issue is no exception. There is no reason as to why we cannot follow through with our commitment to finance programs that enhance student safety.

Administrators and city officials must make this a priority and undertake a funding initiative for this project before more lives are lost. The recession should not be used as an excuse for us to delay this crucial proposal. Don’t let another student death begin the construction of this overpass.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...