Miami ties Purdue

The University of Miami women’s soccer team (1-1-1) ended their three-game road trip with a tie in double overtime against the Purdue Boilermakers (1-1-1) 1-1 Friday night at the Varsity Complex Center in West Lafayette, Ind.

Sophomore Kate Howarth opened up the score in the first 15 minutes off an assist by fellow sophomore Ali Brennan that she sent to the lower left corner to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. Howarth led Miami with five shots in the game.

Howarth had a second chance later in the match with a close diving header in the box.

Purdue tied the game in the 78th minute off a goal by Lauren Montenegro to make the score 1-1.

Senior Brittney Steinbruch, who was looking to become the Hurricanes’ all-time leading scorer, had one shot on goal during the match.

The Hurricanes had 23 fouls in a tough match that saw junior Ashlee Burt get a yellow card in the 73rd minute for the Hurricanes and Kaitlyn Blacha for the Boilermakers in the 105th minute.

Junior keeper Vikki Alonzo had another strong game for the Hurricanes with nine saves.

Alonzo stopped a pivotal penalty shot in the 55th minute after Purdue’s Kellie Phillips was fouled in the box.

The Boilermakers had 10 shots on goal compared to five for the Hurricanes.

After their first three games, the Hurricanes have already donated $80 to the Malaika For Life program created by UM alumn Kristen Kenney by ‘Scoring Goals to Save Lives’. The Canes will donate $10, the amount needed to save a life, for each goal scored.

The Hurricanes have their home opener against Florida Gulf Coast University Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Cobb Stadium.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.