“Going the Distance” falls flat

“Going the Distance” is a fairly straight-forward film about a long-distance relationship. There are no major twists or surprises, and it’s an honest, vaguely romanticized look at a realistic couple. Like any relationship, however, the film starts to drag after a funny, fast-paced “getting to know you” montage. Once the courtship ends and Erin (Drew Barrymore) and Garrett’s (Justin Long) relationship begins, “Going the Distance” becomes a bit monotonous.

Any passion that Barrymore and Long may have in their real-life relationship did not transfer well to the screen. While not a disaster of, say, “Gigli” proportions, “Going the Distance” is definitely not much fun. Barrymore is notably subdued, avoiding the wackiness that affects all of her roles. Long isn’t a natural leading man, but he sufficiently holds his own.

The best performance is from Christina Applegate as Erin’s anal-retentive, overprotective sister. The normally fantastic Jason Sudeikis is boorish, though he is nowhere near as obnoxious as Charlie Day as Garrett’s roommate. One of the highlights is a fleeting, hilarious cameo from Kristen Schaal, but her onscreen time is minimal.

The best moments of the film can all be found in its trailer and commercials. What could have been a pleasant, promising movie is, in reality, outrageously crude and fairly offensive. More than that, it’s just boring.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Starring: Drew Barrymore, Justin Long

Release date: Sept. 3

Directed By: Nannette Burstein

MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...