News Briefs 8/30

UM on cover of National Geographic
University of Miami researchers from the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) are the featured cover story of the most recent issue of National Geographic magazine. The UM-led expedition focused on the underwater caves of the Bahamas, known as Blue Holes, and made significant findings related to the past history of the Earth, including human occupation, previously undiscovered microbial life and abrupt climatic changes.

Canes get a surprise visit from LeBron
Two-time reigning MVP Lebron James and some of his new Miami Heat teammates stopped by the university’s basketball facility Thursday for an informal scrimmage against the Hurricanes that lasted more than an hour. James’ entourage included Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Patrick Beverly and New Orleans guard Chris Paul. After the event, James posted on his Twitter account, “Just left ‘The U’ hooping with the team… Great runs! Needed that.” UM has invited him to see a Miami football game from the sideline anytime he wants- even Sept. 11 against No. 2 Ohio State.

Shalala to discuss Health Care reform
President Shalala will present “UM and Health Care Reform” on Wednesday at 12 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the UM Field House. The event is free and open to UM faculty, staff and students.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...