Personality politics distract from political problems

Personality politics. You have Chavez in Venezuela, Kibaki in Kenya, Ahmadinejad in Iran, Obama in the United States. I know grouping Obama with this gang of nefarious characters is bound to raise an eyebrow or two. The only point I am making though is that these figures enjoy power partly or primarily because their personalities appeal to voters. It is impossible to deny that Obama’s personality was a significant factor in the 2008 election.

The song went “I’ve got a crush on Obama,” not I’ve got a crush on economic revitalization, wealth redistribution, and health care reform (though that is a song I would certainly sing if someone came up with a catchy melody). Obama was “the one.” “The one” is only a slight modification of “the chosen one,” putting Obama in a crew with Harry Potter and Anakin Skywalker.

Sarah Palin’s resurgence following her departure from her governorship of the state next to Russia is also a factor of personality politics. After clearly demonstrating a lack of insight and awareness of significant political issues in the election, many Americans’ respect of the hockey mom heightened to adulation and worship. I don’t think that after eight more months governing Alaska, Sarah Palin gained a great deal of insight with respect to state leadership.

Many political scientists argue that as democracies develop, they usually mature in tandem with vibrant political parties and institutions that diminish the public’s concern with the personality of leadership figures. Technocrats often efficiently manage massive bureaucracies. As countries develop, their bureaucracies often grow to manage more complex economies and distribute increased revenues. As a result of the process of globalization, markets seem to be developing almost everywhere. Will this trend called “the rise of the rest” by Newsweek’s Fareed Zakaria and “global flattening” by The New York Times’ Thomas Friedman suffocate personality politics?

It certainly doesn’t seem to be happening in the United States. This concerns me and I think it should concern all of us. Our country is faced with complex, difficult problems that require insightful, nuanced solutions. Regrettably, our electorate seems to care less about delving into specifics than adoring or condemning our vibrant political personalities. Rather than a real debate on global warming, we audit the energy use of environmental spokesmen. We’d prefer to question the patriotism of our leaders than discuss security policies. Outside the world of James Bond, we all know that a lapel pin on a blazer will not prevent another 9/11.

Josh Kornfield is a junior majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...