News Briefs 8/25

Sebastian’s Café

Sebastian’s Café is now open at the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center featuring a casual bistro menu, indoor and outdoor seating, and a welcoming atmosphere. Located across from Alex Rodriguez Park, Sebastian’s Café is open to faculty, staff, students, and the general community.

Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Parking Permits

Enforcement of the “no valid UM permit” violation will not begin until Tuesday, Sept. 7. Anyone without a valid 2010-2011 permit will be asked to park in the Ponce Garage, in front of the BankUnited Center, and lots 42-43 under the Metrorail station. Lot restriction enforcement will begin on Aug. 25 to ensure appropriate lot designation depending on permit type.

For example, discount permit holders can park in discount lots only, commuter permits are valid in commuter lots only, and those with “no valid UM permit” can park in the aforementioned lots/garage only.

Students interested in obtaining a parking permit can apply through MyUM.

SoC Dean’s final year

School of Communication Dean Sam Grogg will be stepping down at the end of the 2010-2011 academic year, but will remain on the faculty and continue to work with students. The provost is organizing a search committee for his replacement; 12 faculty members representing the seven SoC programs have been nominated.

In an open letter to the School of Communication, Grogg wrote, “My term of five years is at an end. I will be teaching on the faculty and able to work more directly with you—an invigorating opportunity. And I am truly thankful for being able to contribute to the growth and success of your great School of Communication which is now celebrating its 25th year.”

Armed Robbery Near Campus

An armed robbery occurred Wednesday morning at Metro Bank, adjacent to the Gables One building on 1390 South Dixie Highway. The suspect was described as a white male wearing a black ski mask and black/gray jacket with a silver handgun. Police issued an immediate campus-wide alert via ENN.

The situation was deemed “all-clear” at 11:50 a.m.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...