Battle for the Bucket against the Seminoles

Junior Johanna Luna donates blood between classes.

Everyone knows about the football rivalry between UM and FSU, but the competitive spirit between the two schools has bled into other aspects of campus life. This week, UM will take on FSU in the second annual Battle for the Bucket blood drive.

“Last year was the first Battle for the Bucket and FSU didn’t do much,” said Emily Packard, vice chair of FunDay and an organizer for Battle for the Bucket. “This year they’ve amped it up, and obviously we’re hoping to do the same.”

UM took home the bucket trophy last year, raising 328 more pints of blood than FSU. This year, the organizers are hoping to keep the trophy in Miami by donating between 340 and 345 pints. FSU raised about 150 pints of blood last year.

Battle for the Bucket raises money for the University of Miami’s longest standing service day, FunDay. FunDay, which will be Feb. 19 this year, invites more than 300 special citizens from the Miami area to campus for a day of games and prizes. Battle for the Bucket raises $5 per pint of blood for FunDay.

“It’s a great way to start planning for FunDay,” FunDay chair Alyssa Laferrera said. “It takes a lot of money to do FunDay, so to raise money and donate blood is a win-win.”

To provide incentives for students to donate, Battle for the Bucket is offering free T-shirts, pints of Blue Bell ice cream and Fire Dog energy drinks. The Battle for the Bucket kick-off will be Wednesday at 1 p.m. at the Rock.

There will be two bloodmobiles at the Rock all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Donations can also be made in UC Ballroom A from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday and UC Ballroom B on Friday. Battle for the Bucket is accepting donations from students, staff, faculty, alumni and friends of the University of Miami.

All blood donated during Battle for the Bucket will go to the Community Blood Centers of South Florida.

“The blood centers count on 800 donations a day,” Packard said. “With Labor Day weekend coming up, they won’t get that many donations, so UM students are helping the blood centers compensate for that weekend.”

The Community Blood Centers of South Florida provide blood to over 90 percent of the hospitals in Miami-Dade, Monroe, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

“The main reason we’re doing this is to raise awareness of the importance of blood donation,” said Alex Martinez of the community blood centers. “We’re educating the public.”

The organizers of Battle for the Bucket hope that taking on FSU so early in the year will help students get back into the competitive spirit, while allowing them to benefit the community as a whole.

“We’re starting off the year well,” Packard said. “It’s a great way to show your love for UM and the Miami community.”

Laura Edwins may be contacted at ledwins@themiamihurricane.com.

How to donate to Battle for the Bucket:

Wed.–Fri. at the bloodmobiles on Rock

Wed. and Thurs. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in UC Ballroom A

Fri. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in UC Ballroom B

Donate blood and receive:

– A free T-shirt
– A pint of Blue Bell ice cream
– A Fire Dog energy drink
– A chance to enter a raffle for event tickets

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...