BREAKING NEWS: Armed robbery near Gables campus, now ‘all clear’

UMPD sent out texts, e-mails and calls alerting the university community about an armed robbery near the Coral Gables campus around 10:24 a.m. Wednesday.

At 11:51 a.m. a follow-up e-mail cleared the campus and kept it under normal operations.

In the e-mail, it advised everyone to avoid the METRO BANK at 1390 South Dixie Highway, which is adjacent to the Gables One building.

The subject is described as a white male wearing a black ski mask and black or gray jacket with a silver handgun. The subject was last seen on foot running south, away from campus. Police have a large perimeter of the area.

It went on to say, “Think STAY, secure your area, take cover, alert others and take action for your safety. Get to a safe location and/or remain indoors. Close all doors and windows. Await further information.”

When information becomes available, it will be posted at miami.edu and via e-mail.

For updates, be sure to follow the story at themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...