Textbook rentals reduce costs

Freshmen Alex Schrieks and Brandon Lay search for rentable textbooks in the Bookstore. Adrianne D'Angelo//Assistant Photo Editor

This fall semester the campus bookstore is helping reduce the costs of the college experience by introducing a textbook rental program.

Rent-A-Text, a service offered by the Follett Higher Education Group, allows students to rent over 2,200 required textbooks from the campus bookstore for an entire semester at a relatively low price.

“The prices between rentals and sales are drastically different,” said Pietro Bortoletto, vice president of Student Government. “For example, a chemistry book that would cost $157 new and $127 used would be offered at $73 for rental.”

Aside from the average 50 percent in savings, students are allowed to keep the rented book until the end of finals and may choose to buy it or receive a refund if they drop the class.

Though there seems to be a catch, there isn’t.

In fact, one of the biggest perks of the program is the ability to mark the textbooks with moderate highlighting and underlining.

“I would definitely use the rental option,” freshman Lina Hernandez said. “The fact that you can mark them makes it the best option.”

If textbooks are not returned or are returned damaged, students will be charged a flat fee that varies depending on how much was orginally spent on the book.

Textbooks are already available for rent, though not every course’s book titles are offered.

“We’re focusing on the bigger, general education classes first and then expanding the selection,” said senior Christina Farmer, president of Student Government.

The service was one of the major initiatives taken on by the UFirst platform, which was elected in the spring. Its goal to make things easier for students placed the cost of textbooks on the forefront.

“When I was running on the UFirst ticket, I heard from many students about the issue of textbook affordability,” Farmer said. “We worked on it through the summer with the bookstore and are very excited that it’s now available.”

To rent textbooks, students should visit the bookstore’s Web site to register for a rental account as listed on the homepage, which makes it faster to rent the text at the bookstore.

“I think it’s an excellent program. Books are one of the many expensive parts of college life, yet there’s really no financial aid for them,” said junior Michael Kaplan, a Student Government senator. “This is a better way for students to get books for cheap.”

For more information on Rent-A-Text, visit http://www.rent-a-text.com.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...