Escaping your crazy roommate

The school year has begun, and the long-awaited time has come to meet your random roommate. After some pre-introduction phone calls to decide who’s bringing the mini-fridge, the rug and the curtains, you start to wonder what’s behind the cell phone and have thoughts of, “What if they smell bad? What if they’re a kleptomaniac!?”

Well… things topple over when you find out that he or she isn’t exactly who you originally signed up for.

In need of an escape? Looking for some fresh air far from the Hecht/Stanford tables? Check out these getaways and your nightmare roommate will be cleared from your mind in no time.

For those without a car, the UM campus holds two secret hiding places known to seasoned Hurricanes as “the pit” and the Gifford Arboretum. One of the finest gems on campus, the pit is a mysterious man-made hole behind the Dooley Memorial building where friends go to read, chat or even to sort out their budding thoughts of their dopey roommate.

UM graduate student David Tayloe describes the pit as “a serene place that’s completely out of touch with the rest of the UM campus.”

Have a car and need to go somewhere that feels like a well-deserved vacation? Try heading to Fritz & Franz Bierhaus. With waiters and waitresses clad in authentic lederhosen and dirndls, it has the atmosphere of a bier garden in Germany.

Senior Megan Wise, frequent Fritz and Franz-er, recommends this restaurant because of its “good food, good beer and a good escape to somewhere for an otherworldly experience.”

For a scenic venture into the outdoors, head to Matheson Hammock Park. The park has many options, including renting a kayak, going for a ride on the bike trail, having a picnic or going fishing.

Check out these places to bring ease and relaxation to your mind after a bad experience meeting the roommate from hell.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...