Escaping your crazy roommate

The school year has begun, and the long-awaited time has come to meet your random roommate. After some pre-introduction phone calls to decide who’s bringing the mini-fridge, the rug and the curtains, you start to wonder what’s behind the cell phone and have thoughts of, “What if they smell bad? What if they’re a kleptomaniac!?”

Well… things topple over when you find out that he or she isn’t exactly who you originally signed up for.

In need of an escape? Looking for some fresh air far from the Hecht/Stanford tables? Check out these getaways and your nightmare roommate will be cleared from your mind in no time.

For those without a car, the UM campus holds two secret hiding places known to seasoned Hurricanes as “the pit” and the Gifford Arboretum. One of the finest gems on campus, the pit is a mysterious man-made hole behind the Dooley Memorial building where friends go to read, chat or even to sort out their budding thoughts of their dopey roommate.

UM graduate student David Tayloe describes the pit as “a serene place that’s completely out of touch with the rest of the UM campus.”

Have a car and need to go somewhere that feels like a well-deserved vacation? Try heading to Fritz & Franz Bierhaus. With waiters and waitresses clad in authentic lederhosen and dirndls, it has the atmosphere of a bier garden in Germany.

Senior Megan Wise, frequent Fritz and Franz-er, recommends this restaurant because of its “good food, good beer and a good escape to somewhere for an otherworldly experience.”

For a scenic venture into the outdoors, head to Matheson Hammock Park. The park has many options, including renting a kayak, going for a ride on the bike trail, having a picnic or going fishing.

Check out these places to bring ease and relaxation to your mind after a bad experience meeting the roommate from hell.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...