Escaping your crazy roommate

The school year has begun, and the long-awaited time has come to meet your random roommate. After some pre-introduction phone calls to decide who’s bringing the mini-fridge, the rug and the curtains, you start to wonder what’s behind the cell phone and have thoughts of, “What if they smell bad? What if they’re a kleptomaniac!?”

Well… things topple over when you find out that he or she isn’t exactly who you originally signed up for.

In need of an escape? Looking for some fresh air far from the Hecht/Stanford tables? Check out these getaways and your nightmare roommate will be cleared from your mind in no time.

For those without a car, the UM campus holds two secret hiding places known to seasoned Hurricanes as “the pit” and the Gifford Arboretum. One of the finest gems on campus, the pit is a mysterious man-made hole behind the Dooley Memorial building where friends go to read, chat or even to sort out their budding thoughts of their dopey roommate.

UM graduate student David Tayloe describes the pit as “a serene place that’s completely out of touch with the rest of the UM campus.”

Have a car and need to go somewhere that feels like a well-deserved vacation? Try heading to Fritz & Franz Bierhaus. With waiters and waitresses clad in authentic lederhosen and dirndls, it has the atmosphere of a bier garden in Germany.

Senior Megan Wise, frequent Fritz and Franz-er, recommends this restaurant because of its “good food, good beer and a good escape to somewhere for an otherworldly experience.”

For a scenic venture into the outdoors, head to Matheson Hammock Park. The park has many options, including renting a kayak, going for a ride on the bike trail, having a picnic or going fishing.

Check out these places to bring ease and relaxation to your mind after a bad experience meeting the roommate from hell.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...

Head coach Aljosa Piric announces 2019 fall slate. ...

Miami women's basketball team dominated its final game in Italy by defeating the Venice All Sta ...