Oh, the place you have come

It seems like just yesterday I arrived on campus. I admittedly am no Dr. Phil, but I am a senior who has experienced more than I ever fathomed.

So here is some advice.

Go easy on your parents. I was not looking forward to leaving the nest and went kicking and screaming the entire way. My younger cousin couldn’t get away sooner, leaving skid marks on the asphalt headed to orientation. Regardless of your feelings, parents are going through a gamete of emotions. Hug them like you mean it because they raised you. The least you can do is say, “Thank you, I’ll miss you and I love you” with an earnest hug.

Find a place for real moments of solitude throughout the school year. Yes, it’s Miami, and the buzz of campus is intoxicating, but you need some quiet time and a chance to recharge. Do not become a mindless herd animal that can only function in a crowd. Taking time out will make you a far more interesting (and calmer) person.

South Beach ain’t going nowhere.

You are in college, so don’t forget to go to college. Whether you can only tolerate small bites of Miami flavor or you are a glutton for the pleasures of South Florida, remember you are a student. Go to class, pay attention and do your work. The experience can be snatched away quickly if you don’t have the grades. And if you do not heed my warning, I know a few people who will not be joining me in the UM alumni club, and they would gladly trade a few Grove nights to pass the classes to keep them here.

You have four years of unadulterated foolishness, so pace yourself.

Revel in every moment. You will only be a freshman once, so soak it up. I don’t believe freshman year is the best time of your life because I think life should always get better as you go along- but it’s pretty damn sweet!

Welcome to our nutty, insane, awesome, beautiful and remarkable family. Being a Hurricane is a one of a kind experience, and no one will ever be able to take this year away.

Welcome, class of 2014!

MacKenzie Green is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at mgreen@themiamihurricane.com.

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...

Head coach Aljosa Piric announces 2019 fall slate. ...

Miami women's basketball team dominated its final game in Italy by defeating the Venice All Sta ...