Oh, the place you have come

It seems like just yesterday I arrived on campus. I admittedly am no Dr. Phil, but I am a senior who has experienced more than I ever fathomed.

So here is some advice.

Go easy on your parents. I was not looking forward to leaving the nest and went kicking and screaming the entire way. My younger cousin couldn’t get away sooner, leaving skid marks on the asphalt headed to orientation. Regardless of your feelings, parents are going through a gamete of emotions. Hug them like you mean it because they raised you. The least you can do is say, “Thank you, I’ll miss you and I love you” with an earnest hug.

Find a place for real moments of solitude throughout the school year. Yes, it’s Miami, and the buzz of campus is intoxicating, but you need some quiet time and a chance to recharge. Do not become a mindless herd animal that can only function in a crowd. Taking time out will make you a far more interesting (and calmer) person.

South Beach ain’t going nowhere.

You are in college, so don’t forget to go to college. Whether you can only tolerate small bites of Miami flavor or you are a glutton for the pleasures of South Florida, remember you are a student. Go to class, pay attention and do your work. The experience can be snatched away quickly if you don’t have the grades. And if you do not heed my warning, I know a few people who will not be joining me in the UM alumni club, and they would gladly trade a few Grove nights to pass the classes to keep them here.

You have four years of unadulterated foolishness, so pace yourself.

Revel in every moment. You will only be a freshman once, so soak it up. I don’t believe freshman year is the best time of your life because I think life should always get better as you go along- but it’s pretty damn sweet!

Welcome to our nutty, insane, awesome, beautiful and remarkable family. Being a Hurricane is a one of a kind experience, and no one will ever be able to take this year away.

Welcome, class of 2014!

MacKenzie Green is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at mgreen@themiamihurricane.com.

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...