Letter from the President

This past summer while most of you were taking a well-earned break, one of your fellow students was killed with his father and two brothers by a 20-year-old drunk driver.

His name was Kelly McConnell. We will join his friends and teachers for a memorial service for him on campus this semester.  He would have been a sophomore, a member of the class of 2013.

Kelly was a brilliant student- a funny guy- who was loved by his rugby teammates.

He worked in the marketing department as a student assistant. He was majoring in accounting.

He was a young man of great poise and promise. He had just celebrated his 19th birthday.

He was cut down tragically by a stupid, irresponsible driver who had been drinking. This year, more than 11,000 people will lose their lives to drunk drivers.

I know you receive all sorts of mixed messages. Young people hear a lot of empty lectures these days.

People tell you that alcohol use is dangerous. But then you see advertisements and TV shows and movies that glorify drinking.

People tell you that you don’t have to drink to have a great time. But then you go to parties and clubs where almost everyone is drinking.

Personal responsibility means standing up for something you know in your hearts is right. And working together to stop substance use and impaired driving can save lives.

If you’re underage, don’t drink. If your friends drink, don’t let them drive home. Take their keys.

We need more Canes caring for Canes.

Our young friend Kelly will never walk across our beautiful campus on a sunny day in September.

He won’t get to go with his friends to see the Miami Hurricanes beat Florida State on Oct. 9.

He won’t be pulling an all-nighter studying and writing papers to finish this semester.

What I wanted for him I want for each of you: wonderful learning semesters at an exceptional university, a glorious graduation day, a job or graduate school and fabulous futures.

Have a safe semester. Take care of each other.

Donna E. Shalala is the president of the University of Miami.

Donna E. Shalala

President of the University of Miami

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...