A look at athletics while ‘U’ were gone

News comes from the University of Miami Athletic Department in an endless cycle. Even in the summer months after school ends, teams still battle and student athletes find success on the playing fields.

Follow the ups and downs surrounding Miami Hurricane sports in the timeline below.

May 12 – Head football coach Randy Shannon signs a four-year contract extension.

May 24 – Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal is named ACC Player of the Year.

June 1 – UM basketball adds transfer Trey McKinney-Jones to its roster. The guard transferred from University of Missouri-Kansas City.

June 7 – Grandal is drafted 12th overall in the 2010 MLB draft by the Cincinnati Reds.

June 10 – Head women’s basketball coach Katie Meier receives a five-year contract extension.

June 11– Sophomore point guard Durand Scott participates in Chris Paul’s basketball camp in Winston-Salem.

June 13- Miami loses to Florida in the Super Regional in Gainesville to end its season.

June 25 – Power forward Dwayne Collins is selected in the second round of the NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns.

July 9 – Highly regarded offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson chooses to attend UM after being released from his scholarship at USC. The Trojans suffered NCAA sanctions.

July 13– Senior track runners Ti’erra Brown and Tameka Jameson win gold medals at the NACAC Championships.

July 28 – Three Hurricane football players are named to the pre-season All-ACC Team (Allen Bailey, Matt Bosher and Brandon Harris).

July 31– Defensive end Steven Wesley and wide receiver Thearon Collier are dismissed from the football team for undisclosed reasons.

Aug. 4 – Junior guard Shenise Johnson is named to the “Wade Watch” list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division 1 Player of the Year.

Aug. 5 – The Hurricanes officially begin fall football training camp.

Aug. 6 – UM basketball adds transfer Kenny Kadji to its roster. The center transferred from the University of Florida.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...