A look at athletics while ‘U’ were gone

News comes from the University of Miami Athletic Department in an endless cycle. Even in the summer months after school ends, teams still battle and student athletes find success on the playing fields.

Follow the ups and downs surrounding Miami Hurricane sports in the timeline below.

May 12 – Head football coach Randy Shannon signs a four-year contract extension.

May 24 – Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal is named ACC Player of the Year.

June 1 – UM basketball adds transfer Trey McKinney-Jones to its roster. The guard transferred from University of Missouri-Kansas City.

June 7 – Grandal is drafted 12th overall in the 2010 MLB draft by the Cincinnati Reds.

June 10 – Head women’s basketball coach Katie Meier receives a five-year contract extension.

June 11– Sophomore point guard Durand Scott participates in Chris Paul’s basketball camp in Winston-Salem.

June 13- Miami loses to Florida in the Super Regional in Gainesville to end its season.

June 25 – Power forward Dwayne Collins is selected in the second round of the NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns.

July 9 – Highly regarded offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson chooses to attend UM after being released from his scholarship at USC. The Trojans suffered NCAA sanctions.

July 13– Senior track runners Ti’erra Brown and Tameka Jameson win gold medals at the NACAC Championships.

July 28 – Three Hurricane football players are named to the pre-season All-ACC Team (Allen Bailey, Matt Bosher and Brandon Harris).

July 31– Defensive end Steven Wesley and wide receiver Thearon Collier are dismissed from the football team for undisclosed reasons.

Aug. 4 – Junior guard Shenise Johnson is named to the “Wade Watch” list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division 1 Player of the Year.

Aug. 5 – The Hurricanes officially begin fall football training camp.

Aug. 6 – UM basketball adds transfer Kenny Kadji to its roster. The center transferred from the University of Florida.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...