Football

Defensive end Steven Wesley no longer on football team

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive lineman Steven Wesley will not be part of the 2010 Hurricanes squad.

Wesley, a 6-2, 250 pound pass rusher, compiled 44 tackles in his University of Miami career. Last year he was instrumental in Miami’s 33-17 victory over eventual ACC champion Georgia Tech when he recorded two tackles for a loss.

There was no clear reason why Wesley will not be part of the football team this year. Wesley attempted to clear up various rumors on his Facebook account Saturday afternoon.

“To clear all the rumors no [I’m] not academically ineligible nor did I get kicked off the team for any off the field issues,” Wesley said in his status. He went on to state, “but I [won’t] be playing football at the U next season.”

UM is extremely deep on the defensive line. Senior Allen Bailey and junior Adewale Ojomo are expected to start at defensive end while juniors Marcus Robinson and Andrew Smith as well as sophomore Olivier Vernon are expected to see ample playing time as well.

The Hurricanes begin fall training camp Aug. 5. The season opener is Sept. 2 vs. FAMU.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...