Highly rated recruiting class set to arrive

Taking on top-ranked Virginia in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament, the 41st-ranked University of Miami’s men’s tennis team’s season came to a premature close with a 4-0 loss.

For the first time since 2005 the Hurricanes failed to make the NCAA Tournament.

“We had a slow start and started to play better towards the end,” head coach Mario Rincon said.

The Canes (11-11) had a tough season trying to overcome the loss of All-American Daniel Vallverdu in the first position and David Rosenfeld who played in both the second and third positions.

“Losing such important players definitely made the year challenging,” Rincon said. “We had to depend in a lot of matches on a group effort in order to try and maintain the level we had the last couple of years.”

Rising seniors Carl Sundberg and Christian Blocker alternated at the top position. Sundberg, who was the only Miami singles player ranked nationally through the season, had competed in the third spot.

“I think we got better as the year progressed,” Blocker said. “We didn’t start so well as a result of not playing together, and we hadn’t gotten a lot of practice in.”

Miami notched a 4-3 come-from-behind victory against No. 14 Duke at home to cap a four-game winning streak.

During the offseason the program added Omar Aly from Oklahoma, ranked No. 48 in the country, and Gabriel Flores from Puerto Rico, ranked seventh in the nation.

“Our No. 1 goal is to make the NCAA Tournament,” Blocker said. “We all disliked that feeling of not making it this year and we expect to be back to the form we had the last couple of years and making the Sweet 16.”

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...