Undergrads explore the Galapagos Islands

The Galapagos Islands are perhaps most well known for their role in Charles Darwin’s five-year voyage aboard The Beagle, where Darwin performed ground-breaking research, exploring the archipelago’s exceptional biodiversity by collecting data that established the foundation for modern evolutionary theory.
This spring, 11 undergraduates from UM’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) took advantage of the newly implemented “UGalapagos” study abroad program designed to provide students with a hands-on learning experience.
Although students involved in the program sat through morning lectures on topics such as species evolution, conservation biology and sustainable management in marine and terrestrial ecosystems, afternoon excursions allowed the undergraduates majoring in marine affairs and marine science to truly take advantage of the wonders of the Galapagos.
“UGalapagos offers students an incredible opportunity to study in one of the most unique and pristine natural environments on the face of the earth,” said Larry Peterson, associate dean of academic affairs and a professor at RSMAS.
In addition to snorkeling with species like sea lions, penguins and sea turtles, students also performed fieldwork under the supervision of UM faculty members, as well as experts from the Isabela Oceanographic Institute (IOI), located in the Galapagos.
“It was an amazing academic experience both in and out of the classroom,” said rising senior Katharine Woodard, a marine biology major and trip participant. “You learn more about yourself and it just made me enjoy my major a lot more again because we were out in the field and we were able to see exactly what job opportunities were available.”
According to Peterson, students enjoyed the “living laboratory.”
During their trip, the undergraduates stayed with host families in Puerto Villamil on Isabela Island, providing the students with the opportunity to immerse themselves in the local culture and improve their Spanish-language skills.
The students also received a taste of the local seismic activity when, following the 8.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Chile on Feb. 27, the Galapagos were put under tsunami warning and students were forced to flee to the IOI’s second-floor classrooms.
There was even a 4-foot drop in water level.
“Our group saw the small tsunami, after which the area quickly refilled,” UM professor Michael Schmale said. “We also saw several smaller surges follow over the next 30-60 minutes.”
According to Schmale, there was never any danger to persons or structures on land.
“They had the whole adventure,” RSMAS communications director Barbra Gonzalez said.
Although the first semester of UGalapagos was geared toward RSMAS students, this fall UM plans to extend the program to target students majoring in a wider variety of subjects. Students will take classes like geology and anthropology in order to fulfill general education requirements.
“For students interested in the natural world, I can’t imagine a better place to spend a semester,” Peterson said.
Sarah Hartnig may be contacted at shartnig@themiamihurricane.com.

The Galapagos Islands are perhaps most well known for their role in Charles Darwin’s five-year voyage aboard The Beagle, where Darwin performed ground-breaking research, exploring the archipelago’s exceptional biodiversity by collecting data that established the foundation for modern evolutionary theory.This spring, 11 undergraduates from UM’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) took advantage of the newly implemented “UGalapagos” study abroad program designed to provide students with a hands-on learning experience.Although students involved in the program sat through morning lectures on topics such as species evolution, conservation biology and sustainable management in marine and terrestrial ecosystems, afternoon excursions allowed the undergraduates majoring in marine affairs and marine science to truly take advantage of the wonders of the Galapagos.“UGalapagos offers students an incredible opportunity to study in one of the most unique and pristine natural environments on the face of the earth,” said Larry Peterson, associate dean of academic affairs and a professor at RSMAS.In addition to snorkeling with species like sea lions, penguins and sea turtles, students also performed fieldwork under the supervision of UM faculty members, as well as experts from the Isabela Oceanographic Institute (IOI), located in the Galapagos.“It was an amazing academic experience both in and out of the classroom,” said rising senior Katharine Woodard, a marine biology major and trip participant. “You learn more about yourself and it just made me enjoy my major a lot more again because we were out in the field and we were able to see exactly what job opportunities were available.” According to Peterson, students enjoyed the “living laboratory.”During their trip, the undergraduates stayed with host families in Puerto Villamil on Isabela Island, providing the students with the opportunity to immerse themselves in the local culture and improve their Spanish-language skills.The students also received a taste of the local seismic activity when, following the 8.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Chile on Feb. 27, the Galapagos were put under tsunami warning and students were forced to flee to the IOI’s second-floor classrooms.There was even a 4-foot drop in water level.“Our group saw the small tsunami, after which the area quickly refilled,” UM professor Michael Schmale said. “We also saw several smaller surges follow over the next 30-60 minutes.”According to Schmale, there was never any danger to persons or structures on land.“They had the whole adventure,” RSMAS communications director Barbra Gonzalez said.Although the first semester of UGalapagos was geared toward RSMAS students, this fall UM plans to extend the program to target students majoring in a wider variety of subjects. Students will take classes like geology and anthropology in order to fulfill general education requirements. “For students interested in the natural world, I can’t imagine a better place to spend a semester,” Peterson said.

Sarah Hartnig

Contributing Columnist

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...