‘STAY’: UMPD’s new safety emergency plan

The next time the Coral Gables campus is flooded with red and blue lights, it won’t just be up to the police to keep students safe.
In a statement released on Feb. 22 to the university community, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) issued a new policy regarding on-campus incidents that reinforces personal responsibility and safety during emergency incidents.
The new STAY policy is designed to provide direction to students, faculty and employees should an emergency occur. The name of the new policy is a mnemonic device that helps one remember the instructions: Secure your area, take cover, advise and you must take measures to protect your safety.
“What we had here in place, it was a model that followed high schools, middle schools and elementary schools, which is ‘lockdown’,” UMPD Chief David Rivero said.
According to Rivero, the university’s former lockdown policy was derived from the response to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.
“[The lockdown] model existed in our emergency plans and in reality we can’t meet that criteria because UM is such an open campus,” Rivero said. “There are many buildings that we can’t even lock the doors to.”
Part of the challenges the university faces during emergency situations is the ability to lock all buildings and keep people inside. According to Rivero, only about 50 percent of the buildings on campus can be locked remotely through Cane Card access.
To raise awareness, UMPD will incorporate the STAY policy into its presentations during freshman and transfer orientation. The university’s human resources department will also sponsor programs to raise awareness for employees and faculty.
“If you’re sitting in a little cubicle by yourself, no one is going to lock the door for you,” Rivero said. “You’re going to have to take care of yourself. There’s a perception that somehow people are going to come, lock doors and keep you safe. It’s impossible to do that here.”
One student familiar with the policy agrees that UMPD faces unique challenges in a location like South Florida.
“You can’t be everywhere,” rising junior Ryan Zangeneh said. “The text message and e-mail service helped last semester during the incidents. There’s only so much you can do because Miami is so open.”
Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

The next time the Coral Gables campus is flooded with red and blue lights, it won’t just be up to the police to keep students safe.In a statement released on Feb. 22 to the university community, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) issued a new policy regarding on-campus incidents that reinforces personal responsibility and safety during emergency incidents.The new STAY policy is designed to provide direction to students, faculty and employees should an emergency occur. The name of the new policy is a mnemonic device that helps one remember the instructions: Secure your area, take cover, advise and you must take measures to protect your safety.“What we had here in place, it was a model that followed high schools, middle schools and elementary schools, which is ‘lockdown’,” UMPD Chief David Rivero said.According to Rivero, the university’s former lockdown policy was derived from the response to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.“[The lockdown] model existed in our emergency plans and in reality we can’t meet that criteria because UM is such an open campus,” Rivero said. “There are many buildings that we can’t even lock the doors to.”Part of the challenges the university faces during emergency situations is the ability to lock all buildings and keep people inside. According to Rivero, only about 50 percent of the buildings on campus can be locked remotely through Cane Card access.To raise awareness, UMPD will incorporate the STAY policy into its presentations during freshman and transfer orientation. The university’s human resources department will also sponsor programs to raise awareness for employees and faculty.“If you’re sitting in a little cubicle by yourself, no one is going to lock the door for you,” Rivero said. “You’re going to have to take care of yourself. There’s a perception that somehow people are going to come, lock doors and keep you safe. It’s impossible to do that here.”One student familiar with the policy agrees that UMPD faces unique challenges in a location like South Florida.“You can’t be everywhere,” rising junior Ryan Zangeneh said. “The text message and e-mail service helped last semester during the incidents. There’s only so much you can do because Miami is so open.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...