Office of Disability Services lends a hand

Thierry Djemmo, a rising senior business major, is an A student who always takes notes in his classes.
In his Finance 320 last semester, however, he was not just taking notes for himself, but also for another student in the class— someone he didn’t even know.
Djemmo is one of about 500 students across the university who are volunteer note-takers for students with disabilities, who qualify for the accommodation under federal law. Once class is over, Djemmo e-mails a copy to the Office of Disability Services (ODS).
“It’s good to know that someone is actually using your notes, that it’s actually helping someone else,” he said. “It gives you incentive to look over your notes since you need to proof-read them before you send them out.”
One participant, a rising senior who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity, said she has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), a medically recognized disability.
“It’s often hard for me to listen and take notes at the same time,” she said. “If I’m really focused on writing everything down perfectly, then I end up missing what the professor says next.”
ODS exists under the mandate of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The laws require that post-secondary institutions supply appropriate aids and services to students with disabilities in order to give them an equal opportunity in the educational process.
Note-taking is one of several services ODS offers. A note-taker is responsible for attending every class in which they have signed up to be a note-taker. They are expected to take comprehensive notes on lectures, class discussions and any other communication.
If they have at least a 3.0 GPA, they are recruited from the classes in which they are currently enrolled.
“Everything is confidential. The note-taker does not know which student or students in the class receive their notes,” said Dr. Mykel Jane Mangrum Billups, assistant dean at the Academic Resource Center and ODS director. “This is done for the protection of the student with a disability and the note-taker,”
The aids and services are free to students, who must provide documentation of their disability to qualify for help.
“Students must register with ODS and be granted note-taking as an official accommodation,” Billups said. “Then students must request notes for each class every semester and abide by the policies and procedures for that accommodation.
“This requires students to take their own notes and attend class. Students sitting in class without taking notes or not attending class jeopardize their accommodation.”
Potential note-takers are identified through a database. ODS usually sends e-mails to top students who are in the specific courses that need a note-taker. It is up to the student to volunteer.
Note-takers are rewarded with 60 hours of community service, which can be used for any UM club, sorority/fraternity or even outside of UM with the certificate from the ODS office. In addition, note-takers are given a small gift valued at $25 from the UM bookstore.
“It is an easy and impressive addition to any resume,” Billups said.
The Academic Resource Center
  • The ARC at the University of Miami offers a multitude of resources for every constituent of the UM community: students, parents, faculty, staff and administrators. Our goal is to provide resources to help manage success and advance potential.
  • Services: Peer Tutoring; UMX, “The Ultimate UM Experience”; Academic Resource Workshops; Disability Resources; Faculty Support; Resources for Parents.
  • HOURS: Monday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Tuesday, 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Rebecca Zimmer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...